Issue : When I try to remote into a computer inside our network, I get this message.
"This computer can't connect to the remote computer."

I have around 8 servers and 100 nodes in our network, and once I setup remote into units, they all work just fine. In fact the unit in question would all remoting into it last week or so. All of a sudden I cannot. No one can, regardless of permission levels or account used.

Have checked to make sure Remote Desktop is on, that whatever users selected have rights to the computer.
I can ping the unit by IP or through DNS.
I have made sure that the firewall settings in XP Professional allow for Remote Desktop.
I have tried to remote vis Name Resolution and IP and I cannot.
I have tried remoting from inside the network and outside of our network at home and nothing.
I have checked to make sure the unit has the correct DNS and WINS info.

I can remote into any other unit set up the same, through wireless or hardwired. So I don't know what is going on. I even reinstalled the TCP/IP protocol and nothing. Wondering what I could be missing, or if anyone knows of this issue coming up.

Unit in Windows XP Professional, Intel Pro/100 with service pack 2. Any number of operating systems are trying to connect. Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows XP Professional and Win 2000 units. All no go.

Thanks for any input in advance.

have you chacked the pc to see if the port is blocked. maybe the firewall on the pc is blocking the port. what remote program are you using, check the port

have you chacked the pc to see if the port is blocked. maybe the firewall on the pc is blocking the port. what remote program are you using, check the port

It was a port issue. The firewall port was wrong, it was somehow altered. Using KB306759 I
went into the registry and seen that the port # had been changed and I just went into the firewall and set it to the number in the registry and away she went. Now it's just finding out how or why someone in the office set the port to a new number :)

Thanks for the reply all, this one is solved.

It was a port issue. The firewall port was wrong, it was somehow altered. Using KB306759 I
went into the registry and seen that the port # had been changed and I just went into the firewall and set it to the number in the registry and away she went. Now it's just finding out how or why someone in the office set the port to a new number :)

Thanks for the reply all, this one is solved.

You probably won't find that anyone was responsible. I find that most every Windows machine I own or use, every now and then, changes some setting. It just happens. I attribute this random occurrence variously to sunspots, cosmic rays or the built in Random Aggravation Circuit (that's a small subpart on the CPU).:idea:
Val