I have a client with an existing domain name that he wants to retain. However, the domain name isn't seo friendly. Would it be a good idea to have a new domain name with the old one parked or is Google likely to look unkindly on this?
If this is not a good idea, is there any advantage or disadvantage to having another duplicate site with the new domain name.
As I am new to SEO and help or guidance would be great.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

I don't understand what you're actually looking for? Are you looking to add the old site content with the new domain name or vice versa?

Sorry, my posting was a bit vague.
The client has an old site and I am designing a new site for him with a new hosting company.
He wants to retain his old domain name, but I wondered if it was worth having another more SEO friendly domain name which points to the same site. Or, alternatively, a copy of the new site hosted twice (it is a small site) and each of the domain names pointing to a seperate copy of the files.

I'd keep the old domain because of its age.
If you're starting a new product then feel free to register a new domain.
Many people use shorter domains when they publish ads in magazines and newspapers.

I would say no to putting up duplicate sites. Put up the new site on the old domain as it will not incur the new domain penalty. If he still wants to purchase the new domain, just point it to the new site on the old domain.

Hi thanks everyone for the replies.

Can I take it that Google will not penalise for having two domains pointing to the same site?

Sooner or later Google will figure out that you have duplicate sites and make an arbitrary decision on which one to allow. To keep control of the situation just 301 the old domain to the new one and you should retain the value of the links pointing to the old site.

If your client having an old site then why are you create a new with different, place all new things on old domain for better result/traffic for the website. This way you become safe from the duplicate issue.

My question is why is he so hot to retain the old domain name? If, as you say, it is not SEO friendly he needs to understand this. I know some people suggest keeping the old domain and having it redirect but it seems like you are trying to jump through hoops over something that sounds a little odd.

if u have a new domain but the old content
there will be two websites in G's eyes
so one of them gonna be regarded as a duplicate web I guess

I have a client with an existing domain name that he wants to retain. However, the domain name isn't seo friendly. Would it be a good idea to have a new domain name with the old one parked or is Google likely to look unkindly on this?
If this is not a good idea, is there any advantage or disadvantage to having another duplicate site with the new domain name.
As I am new to SEO and help or guidance would be great.

the domain name isn't seo friendly--so u mean it not even contain the KW , am i got u right?

Better not make another duplicate site. If the owner wants to retain the old domain, let it be. On the other hand if he is convinced with the advantages of new SEO friendly (keyword rich??) domain just use a 301 redirect.

Better not make another duplicate site. If the owner wants to retain the old domain, let it be. On the other hand if he is convinced with the advantages of new SEO friendly (keyword rich??) domain just use a 301 redirect.

maybe it is the eayest way to do

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.