tiger86 16 Posting Pro

The new year is here and while I wonder what apple, microsoft, google, Rim(research in motion), have in store for us in 2009 I am looking back at what they gave us in 2008 and all the bugs and glitches they also gave us.

Apple

Apple brought us quite a few things in 2008; I would have to say 2008 was my best apple year ever. Here is a list of what they brought us and what went wrong.

on July 11th Apple released the Iphone 3g to the public. The new Iphone was gobbled up by consumers making apple stores very crowded.
Along with the birth of the Iphone 3g there were some bugs such as phone calls getting lost, the people who bought the phone on the first day it was released were not able to use it due to some problems that were not expected, I know that there were a lot more iPhone problems but I want to focus on the positive. Apple fixed the problems that were driving users insane quickly (yes I know waiting until September for the perfect patch may feel like a long time but it takes a while to make patches)

iTunes Genius
Well this I have to say is one of the rotten apples that apple made. I do not like that my info is sent to apple; but furthermore not every song can create a "genius" playlist. I think that it would have been a smart move to make a default playlist for each genre in case the song couldn't create a playlist; yet they didn't do that.
Steve Jobs is fine; even though a blogger lied!
Now no one was ready for the blogger who posted a major lie that Steve jobs was in the hospital. That cost Apple stock share holders a pretty penny in early morning trades before apple could make a press release denying the bloggers lie and that steve jobs was fine. I imagine that blogger is in jail right now.

Blackberry
The blackberry phone has always been known as a "professional" phone with all of its capabilities. I think that RIM (Research In Motion) continued to prove that with the release of the blackberry storm.

RIM did bring us a brownout or two on our blackberry reception but overall I think they did a good job in 2008.

I think the nicest thing RIM did for people who bought older blackberrys (like 8 months old) was releasing there upgrade for the blackberry 8300s. I know that there was a great upgrade for the 8310 that includes a video camera and voice notes that will record as much as your phones multimedia card can hold. I am not positive that all blackberrys got upgrades but I know that the 8310 did.

Google

Google brought us the g1 also known as the Google phone which computer enthusiasts discovered that it had a kill switch much like the iPhone has. What I saw from Google this year was some great products but it seemed as if they were just changing somethings a little and calling it new. I am mainly reffering to their web browser chrome which looks a lot like opera and Firefox to me. I was dissapointed with Googles lively because it was a fun place to hang out yet google shut it down yesterday (December 31st)

I would like to thank all these companies for bringing us products that some of us liked and some of us didn't but most of all I would like to thank apple for being honest and making patches for the iPhone quickly.