Is it possible to appear as spammy, or automated with a few manual submissions every other day? Is there a point where your penalized instead of helped, from PR and search results. I just don't want to take it too far.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

i think it is hard to get penalised by manually submitting to directories. it is when the process is automated and your link appears hundreds of times in the space of day that you need to worry!

100 in a month should be okay. The search engines probably won't pick up all 100 within a month.

I suspect that within the next 6 months directory submissions will be worthless with Google. They keep eliminating the weight given to links that they feel are not created naturally, like link exchanges and site-wide advertising links.

Directories currently work well, but they are an easy target for Google to focus on.

I don't think you will get penalized, however I also don't believe, IMHO, that there are 100 quality directories out there worth submitting to.

I think it's true to say that especially in Google, your links will only have impact and therefore PR if the links have relevancy. Also many directories are PR 0 - so submitting to too many of them wouldn't be a good idea. I have also read that linking alogrithms work on a Bell curve, so up to a point, 'more' non-quality links may make your strategy 'less' effective.

Hi All

I don't think submitting to 100 directories in a month is spam. I do 200 submissions every month. It is OK as long as you don't keep on submitting to same directory over and over. The best way is to keep a track record of the directories you are submitting and keep checking so that you don't submit to that again. Although some directories do not mind taking duplicate submissions.

I try for 10 a day and I feel that I'm still way under the radar.

your links will only have impact and therefore PR if the links have relevancy.

Mr. Backup can you define what you mean by "relevancy" there?

Also many directories are PR 0 - so submitting to too many of them wouldn't be a good idea.

Not true. All IBLs are worth something, and there's no such thing as too many links. Everybody started out with a PR 0. That doesn't mean that they won't go up. The directory isn't of much value to the owner if it doesn't ultimately get a good PR. It might be a good idea to get in to a directory before the PR gets high enough to allow the owner to start charging for submission.

No, cause you do it manually, 100 submission is not spammy and you are not sure that all directory sites approve your links.

It would be better to do 10-20 better quality links if you can get these. If you continue, it is unlikely to hurt your website.

Is it possible to appear as spammy, or automated with a few manual submissions every other day? Is there a point where your penalized instead of helped, from PR and search results. I just don't want to take it too far.

100 submission in a month should be okay, Infact any reasonable and logical amount of submission is acceptable in google unless it doesn't seems unnatural

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.