If I look at a page and see that it's ranking for several hundred keywords, if I just target the same main keyword, will my page also rank for the same several hundred keywords, or is there more to it than that?

tania0099 commented: Relevent keyword use is also good +0

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

There's a lot more to it than that, of course. Otherwise, everyone would be able to easily game SEO!

You need a good combination of strong backlinks also talking about those keywords, and in-depth content on your site also talking about those keywords, among other things.

I just want to also mention the difference between short tail and long tail ... short tail is ranking a handful of your select landing pages for a handful of specific keywords. Long tail is ranking a lot of pages each for a handful of specific keywords, such that you ultimately rank for thousands or tens of thousands [or more!] of keywords. You need to figure out which strategy makes the most sense for your website.

Here's the step-by-step process for creating content that ranks for hundreds and even thousands of keywords on Google:

Step 1: Start with Your most Popular Pages. Pull up your website analytics tool and look at your most popular pages.
Step 2: Make a List of Keywords.
Step 3: Upgrade Your Content.

It's called Latent semantic indexing.

Thanks for this information

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.