Wondering about social engineering and what tools work best for enabling viral marketing and growth on a site.

Send to a friend
social book marking
ebooks
videos
affiliate programs

Some war stories from some vets would be nice in terms of how you get your site to start growing exponencially.

(oh dani, you might weigh in here)

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Wondering about social engineering and what tools work best for enabling viral marketing and growth on a site.

Send to a friend
social book marking
ebooks
videos
affiliate programs

Some war stories from some vets would be nice in terms of how you get your site to start growing exponencially.

(oh dani, you might weigh in here)

From what I have seen as far as true viral marketing success stories (unfortunately I do not have any yet but I am working on it), the content has to be compelling. A really good hook or something that really excites people is the essence of viral marketing success. And some times/most times it is a matter of 'right place, right time, right content'. For example, the wedding entrance video that was all the rage a month ago. While they were not selling/marketing anything that was a virtual atomic bomb the way it exploded and spread.

Of course, a bad example of viral marketing is the video racing around the web of the two (now former) ACORN members who got caught on hidden camera advising two people posing as a prostitute and her pimp how to evade taxes and immigration laws to set-up an underage prostitution ring made up of Salvadoran illegal immigrants.

I would like to add to your list:
slides on slideshare.

Many people use them as a possible viral marketing tool. I actually have posted many slides on SlideShare. Though I never got any new business lead, I have seen I had many views. I still keep hope alive that I will get leads one day using this tactic.

I would like to add to your list:
slides on slideshare.

Many people use them as a possible viral marketing tool. I actually have posted many slides on SlideShare. Though I never got any new business lead, I have seen I had many views. I still keep hope alive that I will get leads one day using this tactic.

I have mentioned this one before but was at InternetWeekNY and met a specialty bakery owner who set up a Flikr account with an added page that served as her website. The pictures of her wedding cakes (really amazing ones at that based on what she showed when she presented) went viral and got her orders from out of state. As she was local to the Upper West Side of Manhattan this posed some problems but they are good problems as it has only increased her business.

The best example of a low cost and highly efficient viral marketing tool is the offering by www.nextbee.com. You can read a few case studies and also try the solutions for free. Do take a look.

According to me, social book marking,video submission and affiliate programs are the best Viral Marketing Tools.

The thing with viral marketing or social marketing is that in order for a story to be shared ( among friends and not ) it needs to be catchy and unique. Be sure if you post something you know is really cool, people will find it and share it. So focus on getting out a story worth sharing.

social media sites i.e.Facebook and Twitter.Podcasts are great ways of spreading news about your website.

Social book marking through social media sites such as twitter,facebook,myspace,delicious is a best marketing tool.

A lot of companies use viral marketing. Just make a funny Ad with low budget and post it on youtube and you will see that it will be getting hits and it will get shared all over the social media websites.

ping.fm is best tool for viral marketing on social media, social networks and social bookmarking sites.

The purpose of a viral marketing is to spread or proliferate quickly the message or information to be transported. The most effective way to do this is a word of mouth or through media such as fast Internet. The biggest advantage to using this technique is that it requires less effort, as a means of communication itself is the main source of information and marketing.

I've used fb FIST ( http://fbfist.com/ ) to some success in the past. I would highly recommend it ... now i'm looking for something twitter related though.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.