I was reading an interesting blog post that described social media and online communities as country club-like, filled with in-groups and cliques. Do you think that in the communities you manage or belong to that there are cliques?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Just like any other social crowd, social media is no exception. There will be cliques, consisting of leaders, followers, and missing links. To answer your question, I know of friends in the internet marketing space who have complained about this.

Just like any other social crowd, social media is no exception. There will be cliques, consisting of leaders, followers, and missing links. To answer your question, I know of friends in the internet marketing space who have complained about this.

I am amazed by this. Are there people out there that are so emotionally damaged or so desperate to feel like part of the crowd that they form cliques? For all the innovation on the web this is sad.

Online social media communities just provide a digital extension of real-life behavior... Just that...

Online social media communities just provide a digital extension of real-life behavior... Just that...

One would hope that maturity would begin to creep into the situation but, as you said, a digital extension of real-life behavior.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.