I just read an article that said NYS is planning to issue Emergency Alerts on the XBOX Live. So will this type of interrutption cause you to stay away from that video game? Or will it increase your chances of playing online games?
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/24/new-york-state-will-issue-emergency-alerts-via-xbox-live/

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

I used to be a huge gamer and actually just recently picked up the joystick to play the new Call of Duty - Modern Warfare (nerd alert!). Xbox Live is already allowing users to access their Facebook and Twitter accounts directly from their TV or Xbox console. It's not too surprising that they will feed you emergency alerts. Judging from the article, it looks like the alert will be akin to when one of your Friend's signs on to XBL. These alerts are well integrated and rather unobtrusive - so they have little effect on the game play.

Personally, if there were a state or national emergency, I would definitely want to know about it as soon as possible. If that means beaming it through my Xbox - then so be it. :)

Technology have increased the reach of communication for both personal and professional reasons. Though, I would not like a new tool that will alert me of my tweets or facebook updates while at the bathroom.

I would hope that it is done in a way that will not freak out the kiddies who are home alone while mom and dad are at work.

Very good point Marketing Rob.

True - ignorance is (sometimes) bliss. Though.. if they are old enough to be home alone and on Xbox Live, then they are probably capable of sitting tight and/or contacting someone for help.

I would agree but there are some kids who are able to stay home at a younger age (11-14) because of the ability of parents to monitor them via the web. There is a gentleman that works for one of my clients and he has a 12 year old daughter who gets home from school and would be home for 2 hours by herself. Because of the economy both he and his wife have to work so they purchased a video monitoring system for their house and they are able to monitor their daughter via the net on their web-enabled phones. I am sure the last thing they would want to see is their daughter acting worried because of something that came over the video game console.

If they see her freaking out, all they need to do is make a phone call. I understand the desire to protect our children but we can't keep them in the dark about everything. If there were a state or national emergency, i think kids would be more likely to hear about it from the television or through their friends than from an a video game console. We are much more connected these days... I can see kids finding out about this stuff via a school announcement, facebook, twitter or most likely a TV interruption in their MTV programming. :)

That's very interesting. I'm doing some work with the next generation of these types of alerts right now myself. Presumably this will be implemented using CAP?

If they see her freaking out, all they need to do is make a phone call. I understand the desire to protect our children but we can't keep them in the dark about everything. If there were a state or national emergency, i think kids would be more likely to hear about it from the television or through their friends than from an a video game console. We are much more connected these days... I can see kids finding out about this stuff via a school announcement, facebook, twitter or most likely a TV interruption in their MTV programming. :)

Does anyone watch MTV anymore? Better yet, do they show any music on MTV anymore?

i blame MTV for all crumby "reality" television. :)

i blame MTV for all crumby "reality" television. :)

I do too, except for the Osbournes. They were classic TV like I Love Lucy but with cursing and detox!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.