I read somewhere that social media is advertising - I dont think it is but I do think that social media is non-blatant advertising because it allows you to still advertise yourself or your product and social media can help you with your branding.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

No matter which may you look at it, Blatant, or Non, it is still advertising. You just have to know how to use it and what to expect out of it. You heard right with regards to Branding. It definitely helps in branding your site. Keep in mind however, that when you create an account with a social media, most of the people are there to SOCIALIZE. AS long as you set yourself some parameters and only accept friends and followers who are interested in what you have to offer, then you can have certain level of success.

@jennypits: I like the way you've analysed it. What is important is the strategy you use in creating a 'social' community around your brand.

The persons that follow you on social media sites would sooner or later become your brand custodians. Whether or not they become 'paying' customers is not the point. Its about 'pulling' people to your brand rather than 'pushing' your brand in front of people.

@jennypits: I like the way you've analysed it. What is important is the strategy you use in creating a 'social' community around your brand.

The persons that follow you on social media sites would sooner or later become your brand custodians. Whether or not they become 'paying' customers is not the point. Its about 'pulling' people to your brand rather than 'pushing' your brand in front of people.

Well said! I agree. For the most part - when i think of using 'social media' for business, i think of it as a tool for branding and expanding reach. It can also serve as a good PR tool. Most followers and friends like to see a business that takes issues, makes them public and provides a resolution.

In actually, social media is a soft way to advertise our product.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.