I have a Dutch Verified Business Account right now and enjoying it. It has helped me on the Internet a lot! Unfortn. I wish to downgrade when things settle down - back to a personal account and just use it to donate to charity, friends or purchase software with.

Anyway, in our country we have a few paypal-like companies, but they stay in the country only I think, I haven't seen them busy in the whole of Europe yet. Probably because they are new.

IF there is going to be competition, I hope they are smart and allow to transfer funds between the different companies.

I'm planning on using iKobo too... well, really because where I'm from is not covered by Paypal...

I also had this dillema for quite some time. For me, the fact that Ikobo has my country in their 170 countries list it was an important factor that made me signup. But this is not the only factor. From their website and from other commercial forums, I learned about the advantage of using this service like: iKard (Visa electron debit card from which I can withdraw funds whenever I like, quick and easy), 3.9% +0.29$ fee for merchant account which in my opinion is a low fee, no setup fee, no inter country fee, no multicurrency fee and no monthly fee. Soon they will have a feature that lets a paypol client to transfer his/her funds anywhere in the iKobo's coverage using ikobo.com. They are a dynamic company I think , that wants to satisfy their clients needs and this is good enough for me.

Ikobo has an IPN(instant payment notification) service. If your customer make payment, Ikobo will emai you imformation about the payment. I think we can use the imformation to setup an anti-fraud system. how do you guys think about this idea?

My first post here, since I typed:

+"alternatives to paypal" +subscriptions

into google.

I just got placed on limited access by Paypal because I was selling adult website subscriptions through them. Damn puritans - now I am looking for other providers.

I need a service that supports subscriptions, and would send IPN (instant payment notifications) for both subscription start and subscription end. The IPN should be made by a HTTP POST to my server (not only by e-mail).

Does someone know alternatives?

ikobo's IPN system will post a notification to your server at the URL you specified, at the time the payment is made. All of your customer’s payment information and a piece of encrypted code will be included in this notification. I think ikobo is a good alternative to paypal since they have better coverage and lower fees. I say you give it a try and post back here with your experiences.

Instant Payment Notification is what I need. ikobo doesn't have a script example so I ask you to send me one or at least expain to me the main ideas on how to make one. What software should I use ?

OK, since I myself am using ikobo's IPN (actually not me personally, the company I work for uses it), I'm going to give a helping hand to fellow businessman.

This is the way IPN works: a customer makes a payment to you or a payment is reversed or refunded, ikobo will post a notification to your server at the URL you specified (I think I've already mentioned that). Included in this notification will be all of your customer’s payment information (e.g. customer name and payment amount.)
After you have activated Instant Payment Notification, your server will be sent a notification every time you receive a payment. You will receive notification to the URL you specified, and it will include all of the payment information, as well as a password.

In order to enable the IPN system you have to follow these steps:

• you log in at ikobo with your merchant account
  • the you go to the "sell" tab near the top of the page
  • select instant payment notification in the functions list
  • then you'll be taken to a screen for you to add your URL and to check to enable IPN
  • enter the required information

After these steps your server will be notified whenever a purchase is made, and you can create your database.
When you specify your notification URL and password your URL must be https. You must also enter a password. Each time ikobo sends you notification it will contain a pass through variable of the password below. Your server will confirm this password, verifying that the notification is in fact coming from ikobo.

You can also test your IPN processing scripts on your server, to see if they are working correctly. You can see sample IPN on the IPN section once you have logged in to your account.
Another good thing is that if your site is down, ikobo’s IPN system will try to re-post to your IPN script every 5 minutes for 4 days.

So basically you don't need any extra software except the scripts provided by ikobo. Of course you'll need an Apache web server or something similar (microsoft not recommended) as well as MySQL for example as your database software.
Good luck with your site!

Cool. I will try to do it myself. I hope you will help me in the future, because I might have some difficulties, because I don't know a lot of programming :(

Cool. I will try to do it myself. I hope you will help me in the future, because I might have some difficulties, because I don't know a lot of programming :(

Well, you are welcome, but I'm not that good a programmer myself. Only basic stuff. Truth is ikobo makes it quite easy so you don't have to be that good of a programmer in order to integrate IPN into your website. I'll be happy to help you in any way that I can!

What language does ikobo uses for the IPN scripts ? A programmer need to buy other software in order to be compatible with ikobo's scripts ?

Carlson
It seemes I need not create database by myself. The payment information will be filled into database automatically. is that right?

I am going to take this opportunity to remind everyone that if they have a new question, please post it as a new thread. Otherwise threads (such as this one) become 100s of posts long and are impossible to read/sort through. Thanks!

I am going to take this opportunity to remind everyone that if they have a new question, please post it as a new thread. Otherwise threads (such as this one) become 100s of posts long and are impossible to read/sort through. Thanks!

Ok. Sorry. I will do that.

Carlson
It seemes I need not create database by myself. The payment information will be filled into database automatically. is that right?

Yes, that's right. ikobo's scripts will create it for you.
Sorry cscgal, that's my last post in this thread. Whoever has any further questions please create a new thread.

I would say that paypal is very much need by webmasters all over the world, and that webmasters wouldnt be able to work properly with financial transaction without then.
I use paypal and it is the best thing that happend to me. i can recieve all my affiliate comission i one check.

I would say that paypal is very much need by webmasters all over the world, and that webmasters wouldnt be able to work properly with financial transaction without then.
I use paypal and it is the best thing that happend to me. i can recieve all my affiliate comission i one check.

Well, all over the world is the key-word here, since paypal doesn't cover all the world, actually they cover a very small portion of it. Very very small.

www.paypalsucks.com

Read through there and see the horror stories some people are exeriencing, along with their new "policy" regarding your bank account and charges. They can actually "freeze" your account and steal money, and there's nothing you can do about it (without exhorbitant legal fees to get it rectified.)

Yes, PayPal has become a major pain in the ass lately. They don't care a bout their clients and the services they offer are old and surely not tailored on the customer needs. I am happy there are alternatives with much better services, fees, coverage and are listening to their customer needs and also take measures according to them.

I see this vBulletin thingy in your post. Duh, what is it? I must lead a sheltered life.
BuddyB

How will I know when to expect the funds to appear in my iKobo account balance?

Well, I know there is 2Checkout.com

They are great if you are in live in the States, but for International users you have to reach a limit (usually $600.00) before they transfer!

How will I know when to expect the funds to appear in my iKobo account balance?

Well, your funds will appear immediately in the account. You can log in at www.ikobo.com to check your account balance.

You also receive an e-mail notification when the funds arrive. All you have to do is go to nearest friendly ATM machine and get your cash. :p Simple as that!

Thanks. But what happens when I want to check my ikobo funds when I am in town. Can I check it by using my "nearest friendly ATM machine" and what is the fee to check the ikobo balance account using an ATM ?

I like ikobo.com services alone/

Good for you. This means that you are familiar with ikobo's services so maybe you can help me with my previous post. Will you ?

Thanks. But what happens when I want to check my ikobo funds when I am in town. Can I check it by using my "nearest friendly ATM machine" and what is the fee to check the ikobo balance account using an ATM ?

Well, if you're out in town (preferably with a girl, or two ;) ) you can indeed go to an ATM and check your balance. It used to cost $1.50 or something like that, but that was a long time ago, now it's free.
So the answer is yes you can, and there are no fees involved.

OK, since you folks are talking about ikobo, and since they appear to be the only ones I could find which will handle payments in my country I'd like to ask a few questions myself, if nobody minds of course.
What I'm most interested about is this ikard I keep hearing about. I'd like to know more details about it.
I've also heard that they enforce a strict verification process, how come? Is this really necessary? I've heard some people complain about it. What do you think about that?

What I'm most interested about is this ikard I keep hearing about. I'd like to know more details about it.

Well, it's actually a visa electron debit card which you receive (free of charge) as soon as someone transfers money into your ikobo account. It takes about 5 to 6 days to arrive (my case) and you can use it at any visa ATM to withdraw the money. If you want to know more just ask!

OK, since you folks are talking about ikobo, and since they appear to be the only ones I could find which will handle payments in my country I'd like to ask a few questions myself, if nobody minds of course.
I've also heard that they enforce a strict verification process, how come? Is this really necessary? I've heard some people complain about it. What do you think about that?

I know for a fact that they enforce this strict verification process because they want to keep the system clean away from the bad people (hackers) who invaded other payment systems. The verification process is made manually and this lead to a much lower risk compared to automatically verification process.

OK, I see. I guess it's a good thing after all with the manual verification and stuff. After all I'd like to know my money is safe, even if that means that I have to undergo this strict verification procedure.
I'd still like to know some details about the ikard if you don't mind. Thanks!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.