As GBuy is all set to launch within a few days, how many of you will shift to GBuy from Paypal. I will definately go for GBuy.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Actually Google Checkout is more compareable to 2checkout then Paypal. There are some similarities with Paypal but Google Checkout is essentially just a way to accept credit card payments (like 2 checkout) whereas Paypal is so much more.

Until Google checkout is open to international merchant, I don't see they can go very far. Paypal has long history of establishment (in Internet time) and good reputation (except those been chargeback due to fraud) which market share will not be affected. PLUS, its business is supported by its parent company eBay which send thousand to million dollars thru Paypal.

I'm confused. What is GBuy? What I don't like about PayPal is their reputation for freezing accounts, chargebacks, etc. I'm always afraid to leave a lot of money in my PalPal balance despite the high interest from their money market fund.

I'm confused. What is GBuy? What I don't like about PayPal is their reputation for freezing accounts, chargebacks, etc. I'm always afraid to leave a lot of money in my PalPal balance despite the high interest from their money market fund.

Gbuy is actually called Google Checkout. It's Google's first step into the world of online payments. It is often compared to Paypal but it's more similar to other third party processors like 2checkout.

I wouldn't expect it to be a smash hit like other Google services due to the complexity of the payments market but definitely expect it to be a player. Being tied in to Google Adwords is already paying dividends and the Google brand is the strongest int world so you can't write it off when comparing it to eBay.

In fact, eBay is so afraid of Google, and Google Checkout, that they banned it on eBay saying it is too new to be trusted. A poorly veiled attempt at hiding their fears about Google encroaching on their market (this includes Google Base).

As for Google holding funds it remains to be seen how that will play out. Only time will tell how conservative they are compared to Paypal.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.