My system:
Dell Desktop: Inspiron 545
Intel Celeron Q9400
8 GB RAM at 800MHz
Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit
ZoneLabs Firewall & Anti-virus
CCleaner, CWShredder, SpyBot, SpySweeper, Ad-Aware

Dreamweaver 3
When I try to upload webpages (i.e., index page) on my new computer, the following message appears:
"An error occurred--cannot put index.html. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."
--I was not using the file with other processes/programs at the time.

When I try to cache files, this message appears:
"Unable to write to cache file "C:\Program Files\Dreamweaver 3\Configuration\SiteCache\Craig Srebnik Fine Art.dws"

--Are updates/downloads required for using Dreamweaver 3 on Vista Home 64-bit (it worked with Windows XP)?
--If not, can you recommend the earliest (simpliest/cheapest) Dreamweaver version to buy or upgrade to?

Thank you for your help!

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

can you CTRL + ALT + DELETE for me and printscreen all the processes?

Thank you for your reply.
Attached are the processes shown in Task Manager.
Thanks for taking a look.

Hmm, I cant see anything suspicious to get in the way?

Urmm... Try ending AdobeUtil10b.exe?

Thank you for looking at the processes and for your advice.
I tried ending the Adobe Flash 10b.exe process and still received the same error message.

That awfully wierd.

The uploading one could be caused if your websites name is 27 or over in characters.

The cache error has just blown me away thought? Try uploading the most basic HTML page to the host and see if its in your code. If it is then youll have to paste your code up here or try and fix it yourself if not then contact support.

Thank you for more advice.
I tried uploading a very basic page, even without it being opened in Dreamweaver and received the same errors.
The website name is less than 27 characters.
All worked fine on my other computer. Perhaps going from Windows XP to Vista is the problem, as it is an older version of Dreamweaver. I haven't been able to send my questions to Adobe or even get to the telephone support page--I have problems with their website.
Thanks again!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.