If anyone would look through what I have and point out any issues that arise in how it will work with some of the stuff I'm getting to upgrade/replace, I'd be forever greatful :eek:

This is what I have as of now:

*Case
*KINGMAX SuperRAM 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model MPXD42D-2K - Retail (Can't find link on Newegg)
*Rosewill Black IDE CD Burner Model RR-521 Black - Retail (Another lost link)
*Motherboard
*SAPPHIRE RADEON 9600XT 256M Radeon 9600XT 256MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card - OEM (Another link down the gone)
*AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Newcastle 800MHz HT Socket 754 Processor Model ADA3400AXBOX - Retail (Why can't I find my stuff anymore :eek: )
*Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST3120026A 120GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM (Grr...no linkage)
*AOpen Black ATAPI/E-IDE Combo Drive Model 91.5TD37.304 - OEM (Reads/Writes CD's, Reads but does not write DVD's)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Getting~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Cable for Vid Card to LCD
*New Motherboard, with PCIEx16
*The oh so infamous 7800gtx
*Bigger Power Supply to Feed New Card (500W)
*An extra GB of RAM couldn't hurt could it?
*LCD Monitor -- This one seemed awesome
*This might replace my other DVD Drive--More games are coming out on DVD now

The greatest of thanks to anyone who accually looked through all this, even mroe if you reply...

The purpose of this rig is gaming, Oblivion's coming out and I want a PC that can go into the next generation of games without dieing hard.

One other issue, if you take a look at my current RAM, its listed as Dual Channel, someone told me that 754 boards such as mine dont support dual channel--is this true? I don't believe so because I'm using them together as we speak :?:

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Member Avatar for TKSS

Why a 9600XT? That card is a bit antiquated...especially if you're going 64bit...no point of having this graphics card. The Nvidia 6600 GT would be a better card than this one. If you want to stick with ATI...You'd have to get the X800 series to be above 9600XT and 9800 Pro level. Otherwise, a good middle card is that Nvidia 6600GT.

Or use this chart to find a good AGP video card: http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/07/05/vga_charts_vii/page4.html

You can try this card, it's affordable and people have reported good experience with oblivion... but be warned, better cards means more ventilation... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102665

Eh thats my old gear you're talking about. Accually I've seince modified that list...this thread is way outdated now.

Member Avatar for TKSS

Mar 1, 2006 is outdated? Holy cow you move fast... :)

Yeah. That list was a list of what I already had and below it is stuff I was considering getting.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.