Hi

I recently upgraded to windows vista and decided that its not for me so i want to downgrade... When i tried to set the system to boot from the XP CD i noticed that the IDE optical drives arent showing in BIOS... the wierd thing is their both present in windows and shown in device manager and they both work fine.. i have tried changing the jumper settings from master/slave to cable select but the problem is still there this is very frustrating... if anyone can let me know a reason for this would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance..

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

any one have any ideas what this could be as its driving me crazy!

thanks for the advice... not sure this will really solve my problem though as I can actually see and use the drives like normal in Windows.

The problem I have is that they are not shown in the BIOS.. ??? i.e the system does not show any drives connected when you look at IDE drives despite having both CDRW and DVDRW connected via IDE.

im baffled.

thanks for the advice... not sure this will really solve my problem though as I can actually see and use the drives like normal in Windows.

im baffled, seems you are worried about nothing ,they work thats all you need to worry about !! enjoy

well i was fine using them up until now... the problem i have is that i want to downgrade to windows XP... but i cant boot from the XP CD as i cant change the boot device priority in BIOS because the CD drives arent listed... unless there is any short cut do boot from the cd which im not aware of?? i was advised that pressing C on boot up may work but it doesn't.. like you say it wouldnt be a problem otherwise.. is a bit weird though and would nice to know if there is a fix!

my first thought is that you may in the wrong section of the bios for changing boot order ,there are different bios's so im not sure to tell you where to look .but the drives aren't even listed in the section of some bios's where i change the boot order ,who makes your bios ,

im in work right now so i cant remember what bios is i think it may be pheonix... but i dont think im looking in the wrong area... i look at list of ide devies and they are all shown as none, when i got to boot device it only lists the HDD? its very strange not somethin ive come across before!

im in work right now so i cant remember what bios is i think it may be pheonix... but i dont think im looking in the wrong area... i look at list of ide devies and they are all shown as none, when i got to boot device it only lists the HDD? its very strange not somethin ive come across before!

Me either.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.