my pc was recently taken for servicing after it hasnt been used for a long time and when they brought it back everything was good execpt now theres no sound :s the drivers there but when i try opening any media files its showing an error saying that i either dont have any sound driver or something rong with my hardware its on board sound i tried re installing wndows but after i reinstalled the sound driver was still there can it be a problem with driver??? HELPPP

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Assuming everything else is "THERE", settings in sound properties, etc. may need to be re-established. Can't guide you further, no idea what OS you're using.

Assuming everything else is "THERE", settings in sound properties, etc. may need to be re-established. Can't guide you further, no idea what OS you're using.

I am using windows xp professional edition i have tried troubleshooting didnt do any good i have checked the hardware properties everything checks out there too anything else u can tell me ?

this may not help but be patient, have to start somewhere.

START > CONTROL PANEL > SOUNDS AND AUDIO DEVICES > AUDIO (TAB)

Is anything there greyed out?

In your Control Panel go to 'sound and audio devices', look at the 'audio' and 'voice' tabs and make sure there's something selected in the 'default device' list. 2 options? try each.

Otherwise you can try enabling onboard sound in the BIOS, but I think that's a long shot...

Volume? lol

mechbas, great idea, rofl

just beat me to the post button ;)

there's no option for sound devices its greyd cant adjust the speaker volume either voice and audio options are both greyd

Perhaps you should check that on-board sound is enabled in the BIOS.

Restart & press Delete at startup to enter BIOS setup.
On mine I head to the Integrated Peripherals section, but not all menus are the same.
(pressing Control-F1 opens more options in some BIOS)
Find and enable AC'97 Audio or similar option.
Save & Exit.

Your sound device(s) aren't installed. The cause is referred to above in Normal's post. It's mostly a hardware issue presently. Until you get that part straightened out the software install will back out which it probably has done several times. In software error parlance it = "Nothing to do."

You could always try System Restore, to take the computer back to it's original state in the past. If all of the other suggestions don't work, then try System Restore.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.