Heya!

Hopefully you guys can save me a headache or three. I run a tower containing both a CD/RW and a DVD/RW drive. I ran a 60 GB HD for years in it without problems, then made the mistake of attempting to add more space.

I purchased a 250GB drive and attempted to add it as a slave. It would work for a bit, but it would spin up, click loudly, and lock the machine up.

I figured it was a power issue, so I set it as master, and installed o/s. It worked fine for about three weeks, but now, usually within 5 minutes after boot, it will either make the same click/freeze as before or it will sound like it is powering down, before re-activating itself, again, either freezing me solid or slowing me to a crawl. (Sometimes, B leads to A here.)

Do I have a lemon drive? and if this is the case, how do I go about destroying the data on it without it running before making a warranty claim/returning it (I have alot of confidential work files that the company wouldnt like me to potentially leave behind)

Anything anyone can tell me would be a blessing here...

Contributors
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by caperjack

put it back as slave to the other drive ,and boot to windows ,just right click on the icon for the drive in mycomputer and hit format

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.