Hello, I am a new member to this forum. I hope it is ok to ask a question. I have a dell 942 all-in-one printer and I am trying to set up the fax service. I have at&t dsl setup with a filter on each phone jack. It was suggested that I run two phone cords from the back of my hard drive, one goes to a telephone and the other goes to the wall phone jack. This jack has a duel port filter with the other phone cord going to my cable box. I am not sure if I need another filter just for the faxing service? I did check to make sure that I had Microsoft Fax installed and I believe that I have configured it properly. I am still having problems and could really use some help. Thanks, Jengr2004

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hi, and welcome to DaniWeb.

What operating system are you using?

In theory, you should just have a phone splitter. Like a tiny adaptor plug that allows you to connect 2 telephones. You can get them for 1 phone and 1 modem, and are cheap.

Then you can plug the cable into the Line option at the back of the modem and into the telephone adaptor.

If you have Windows Vista Home basic or premium, the fax software is not included.

Hi, and welcome to DaniWeb.

What operating system are you using?

In theory, you should just have a phone splitter. Like a tiny adaptor plug that allows you to connect 2 telephones. You can get them for 1 phone and 1 modem, and are cheap.

Then you can plug the cable into the Line option at the back of the modem and into the telephone adaptor.

If you have Windows Vista Home basic or premium, the fax software is not included.

Thanks, for your reply. I am running Windows XP Home edition. I know the adaptor that you are referring to. I now have two phone jack connections on the back of my hard drive (tower), I have the telephone connected to one of those jacks and the other running to the dsl filter in the wall. I have a dual connection on the filter from the dsl, so am unsure why I would need another dual connector.

That should be ok, you shouldn't need another connector, I misread your post.

What happens when you try to Fax? Do you hrar the model click and dial and then the screeching (called a Carrier Tone).

Or do you get any error messages?

The more info you can provide us, the better we can help fix your problem.

This is very frustrating! I believe that I am doing this correctly and that I have this hooked up correctly. When I first go through the fax procedure the phone makes no noise at all then if I stay on for awhile it goes to that if you would like to make a call........... The fax monitor shows that it's dialing then it says that there is no answer. It continues to try and I eventually stop it after seven minutes or so. JENGR2004

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.