We have 64 gigs on our computer and geek squad didn't even hook it up to another computer to see if it would then and they said thatit would cost $99/8gigs for recover y and my dad won't go with it I've got things on there like docs that I can't remake I mean alot of data I need help and a way to convince my dad to go with the alternative. Geek squad said that it is the hard drive and that it's worn out but they only hooked it upto a monitor and not another computer to check if they coulf access the files as they were on a portable drive I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I assume your PC doesn't start properly?

Well if your hard drive has truly kicked it, then paying lots of money for data recovery is the only real way (that I know of).

If it's actually OK, the solution may be to remove it and plug it into a friend's computer (as a slave, making sure you're not booting from it). That's what I'd try.

I mean, there are dodgy techniques to get a dodgy hard drive to start, but they are more urban legend than fact (like giving it a reasonable tap with a rubber mallet, and my favorite; sealing in a bag and leaving it in the freezer for a while, hahaha). I certainly can't recommend this sort of shenanigans, and wouldn't try it myself.

Maybe someone can suggest a cheaper data recovery company?

, and my favorite; sealing in a bag and leaving it in the freezer for a while, hahaha).

lol ,i actually tried it unsuccessfully 2 or 3 times ,i guess the idea is if the drive isn't starting because its heating up then maybe cold it will ,never worked for me ,oh and they were just drives i was throwing away.

lol ,i actually tried it unsuccessfully 2 or 3 times ,i guess the idea is if the drive isn't starting because its heating up then maybe cold it will ,never worked for me ,oh and they were just drives i was throwing away.

Don't laugh too hard -- it does work under the proper conditions. Most effective when a drive will start to read and then fail when it reaches operating temperature. You only buy more time to read drive and have to work quickly. I prefer refrigerating rather than freezing due to condensation problems. Cooling drive has no effect on failed circuit boards or head positioner (clunk of death).

In this case, I also recommend connecting drive to another PC. If drive is partially readable, data recovery software will help. GetDataBack is my preference. You can try before purchasing.
http://www.runtime.org/

We have 64 gigs on our computer and geek squad didn't even hook it up to another computer to see if it would then and they said thatit would cost $99/8gigs for recover y and my dad won't go with it I've got things on there like docs that I can't remake I mean alot of data I need help and a way to convince my dad to go with the alternative. Geek squad said that it is the hard drive and that it's worn out but they only hooked it upto a monitor and not another computer to check if they coulf access the files as they were on a portable drive I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have three options:

A) pay 800.00 to get your data back
B) hook it to another pc (if partially readable) and transfer data to another drive
C) invest in a cheaper data recovery program

Regardless of which method you choose, you must act quick, before the drive dies completely and it becomes too late. Is this data really this important. IF not, you're better off buying a 64GB solid state drive to store your data on there. On these drives, it will remain for decades!! Post back what you did.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.