Hi everyone,

I just got 2GB RAM which are identical (DDR PC 2700 PC 333), and cannot make them run together, each time I boot with both the 2GB installed I end up getting a blue screen error which says (sorry its not in full):

Problem Caused by the following file: win32k.sys

Stop: 0x00000050 ( 0xE1175000,0x00000000,0xBF82B2EE,0x00000001)

The motherboard supports up to 2GB of ram PC 2700 so I guess it should support the ram I bought. Anybody can give me any suggestions? At first I thought that the ram are faulty, however I checked the ram individually using memtest and passed the tests. The PC runs well when I just use 1 Module (1GB). When I tested the ram together using memtest the test failed in test#5. Cannot identify at the moment whether it is a bios problem, ram, mobo or PSU!

My second problem with these ram I just bought is that when I used everest in SPD tab the module size was not saying 1GB but 256MB :S. Should I worry about that?

Info below:

Mainboard
Manufacturer abit
Multi-Processor (MP) Support 1 Processor(s)
MPS Version 1.40
Model SiS-645(SA7 V1.0)
System BIOS 08/02/2002-SiS-646-6A6IXA19C-AK
Chipset SiS 64X/65X

Logical/Chipset 1 Memory Banks
Bank 0 1GB DDR-SDRAM 2.5-3-3-7 (tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) CR2

Memory Module 1
Manufacturer Micron
Model 16VDDT6464AG-335CA
Type 256MB DDR-SDRAM
Technology 8x(32Mx8)
Speed PC2700U DDR-166
Standard Timings 2.5-3-3-7 (tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS)
Version 1.0
Date of Manufacture Wednesday, November 14, 2159
Memory DC Line 2.5V
Set Timing @ 167MHz 2.5-3-3-7 (tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS)
Set Timing @ 133MHz 2.0-2-2-6 (tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS)

Thanks,
Chris.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

AS Normal suggested try using different slots and see maybe one of the combination works . With RAM its tricky sometimes. Good Luck.

Raj

Hi thanks all for your replies, I forgot to mention this but I have 3 available slots and I have tried all combinations with these Modules. I have tried putting the 1GB module in bank 1 and the other 1GB in bank 2, in bank 2 and 3 and bank 1 and 3 but still no success. Also forgot to mention that I’ve tried 1GB and added a 512MB and it works fine however didn’t manage to get the 2GB working together. Don’t know if anyone of you might know this, but is there any chance of knowing whether a module is clocked?

Thanks,
Chris.

Wont know that but if all the combination have failed then I would head to the Abit site and ask for answers as your tests have shown the memory works fine and both the sticks work well individually as well, Just together they are not happily ever after....

Although have you tried populatng all three modules and see what results you got?

Raj

Well my pc was running using 2 modules of 512MB, but they weren't the same speed one was PC 2700 and the other was PC 3200, everything worked fine but wanted to upgrade the ram and put everything in same speed. Last time I tried to run like this:
Slot 1: 1GB PC 2700
Slot 2: 512MB PC 2700
Slot 3: 512MB PC 3200

Using the above setup, the pc switched on but the screen remained black (the orange led of the monitor didn't turn green), no beeps or other things happened. I thought maybe cause the mobo supports max 2GB PC 2700... don't know. However I am still not sure why the 1GB Module in Everest in SPD was shown as 256MB.

Thanks,
Chris.

This is wierd problem, there is nothing wrong with the memory sticks itself, the modules are also fine cos they read the memory when inserted individually. Have you tried resetting the bios to default maybe that does the trick.

Raj

To tell you the truth I never did that and I was hoping not to do that but it seems that I will have to reset the bios. At first I thought that the modules were clocked cause of the 256mb displayed in everest but windows showed the ram as 1GB. Tonight I'll try checking the bios setings if no success then I'll have to reset the bios.

Thanks,
Chris.

Hi guys,

I just found out after searching the net that the ram I just bought are High Density Ram and some websites indicate that not all mobo support high density ram. I guess that might be my problem.

thanks,
Chris.

But the thing is it works as individual stick installed but together they dont work. SO looks like ur mobo can handle one stick of high density ram but two is asking for too much. So maybe try buying just one more stick of 1gb and see if that couples together with one of your high density ram.

Raj

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.