I recently downgraded back to ME (kinda had it with Windows lately) and now my processor reads as unknown. When I built this computer I ran ME, so I know it is compatible. All device managers I have used, including AMD's cpuid, reads it as unknown, though cpuid's Vendor ID says "authentic AMD". I attempted to install the driver pack for ME, but it tells me I am not running anything supported by AMD. I built this thing a long time ago and believe that it is an Athlon. (though I can take the computer apart to find out exactly which, AMD drivers wont install as they read the processor as unknown and therefore claim they are incompatible; finding individual drivers for ME has been virtually impossible) My motherboard is installed properly, directly from disk, and I have not had any other issues.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get the computer to read the processor so I can install new drivers?

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

thats normal as it was probably made after me came out

if you use a pentoum 4 with windows 98 its the same, it just says "genuine intel 3.0ghz"

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get the computer to read the processor so I can install new drivers?

here i go again trying to learn more . but do tell me what drivers you need to load that care what cpu is in the computer ,i have never had that problem before with any windows os i've loaded .

I recently downgraded back to ME (kinda had it with Windows lately)

Me too !!!but i'll be darned if that would make me go back to ME.

For cpuid software try cpu-z ,http://www.cpuid.com/

caperjack's correct -- no CPU drivers are needed. Newer CPUs have drivers for advanced features such as Cool 'n Quiet for Athlon 64 CPUs, but they are not essential for operation.

Windows 2000 Pro would be a better choice than Me for older hardware. W2K runs well on a PII or later CPU with 128MB or more RAM.

yeah win2k is essentially xp with less system requirements. its NT based so most modern stuff runs on it whereas ME is dos based like 98

caperjack's correct -- no CPU drivers are needed. Newer CPUs have drivers for advanced features such as Cool 'n Quiet for Athlon 64 CPUs, but they are not essential for operation.

Windows 2000 Pro would be a better choice than Me for older hardware. W2K runs well on a PII or later CPU with 128MB or more RAM.

I thought about Win2K Pro but I would have to order a disk off eBay as I have only ME and XP., and you can't find it in stores anymore.

thats normal as it was probably made after me came out

if you use a pentoum 4 with windows 98 its the same, it just says "genuine intel 3.0ghz"

When I was thinking about it, I believe I upgraded my OS when I rebuilt my computer so I don't think I ran ME on this processor before. That seems like the most likely answer as I have been through the motherboard BIOS and everything is set correctly. I think I am going to just invest in finding a copy of 2k Pro.

oooh thank you.

You're welcome. Incidentally, #9 Software is a legitimate merchant -- no pirated or bootleg copies.

That is hard to find. On eBay you never know what you're getting anymore. I try to avoid electronics if at all possible from them, its like a cesspool of stolen goods and broken items.

Incidentally, #9 Software is a legitimate merchant -- no pirated or bootleg copies.

This product does not require a key code

implies that it is a volume licencing edition, which is illegal without a volume licencing agreement

Think what you will whether it's true or not.

looks legit ,i assume the NFT after sp4 means not for resale though .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.