Hellou dear experts,
My problem is quiet simmilar to others but i have been unable to find a satisfactory answer to that ,I have regreased my pentium 4 3.o ghz machine after 4 years of operation after fixing back the fan on the chip when i rebooted the system it was taking unusually long at the windows xp logo while before that it used to boot in abt 35 sec,after that it became a pain to stART THE SYSTEM NUMEROUS TIMES I HAD TO REBOOT THEN OUT OF ITS OWN WILL IT WLD REBOOT SOMETIME AND THEN NOW IT IS NT BOOTING AT ALL ONLY THE FAN IS RUNING POWER SUPPLY AND ADDL FAN INSTALLED THE SYSTEM IS D915 GAV WITH COMPONENTS THAT ARE VERY DIFFERENT LIKE SEAGATE HDD AND ASUS CD ROM BUT HAVENT GOT ANY PROBLEM BEFORE ANY HELP WLD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
THANKS

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

you are saying that you changed components of the computer right? If so, you should install the drivers for the new components and erase the old components from the system. Alternatively, you may find it easier to format and reinstall the operating system then install all the pertinent drivers..

its a difficult one to read

sounds like they re-applied thermal paste I suppose on the cpu?

Make sure the heatsink is sitting FLUSH to the cpu, ensuring that the cpu doesnt over heat and cause a shutdown

Hellou dear experts,
My problem is quiet simmilar to others but i have been unable to find a satisfactory answer to that ,I have regreased my pentium 4 3.o ghz machine after 4 years of operation after fixing back the fan on the chip<<< are you sure u did not bend a pin when i rebooted the system it was taking unusually long at the windows xp logo while before that it used to boot in abt 35 sec,<< How many Hard disk do you have in the pc do you have external onesafter that it became a pain to stART THE SYSTEM NUMEROUS TIMES I HAD TO REBOOT THEN OUT OF ITS OWN WILL IT WLD REBOOT SOMETIME AND THEN NOW IT IS NT BOOTING AT ALL ONLY THE FAN IS RUNING POWER SUPPLY AND ADDL FAN INSTALLED THE SYSTEM IS D915 GAV WITH COMPONENTS THAT ARE VERY DIFFERENT LIKE SEAGATE HDD AND ASUS CD ROM BUT HAVENT GOT ANY PROBLEM BEFORE ANY HELP WLD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
THANKS

Take note of items in red. ensure you reseat the CPU properly and non of the pins are bent out of shape. as for the long boot that eventually lead to NO boot check the hard drive in another computer. maybe drive head is damaged. do you have any USB device attached to the pc when it tries to boot ( devices like an IPOD)

Thanks for the reply i concenterated on reseating it and it started but again it was taking ages at the xp logo ,but after staying on when i switched it off again it wont start just the fan and no boot beep no display obviously,upon investigation i have found that one silver group of huge pins projceting is bend but it has got nothing to do with the processor (as far as i know)its like nails projecting out abt 110 silver pins.pls help me and i really appreciate ur previous reply ,
the questions is that the plastic stud kind of things that settle down the fan are broken so it is not getting properly fixed in the m.b,do u think that wld make any difference plus after taking off the fan found that thermal grease is like how boiling water gets vapoury kindof.
pls help
thanks

Thanks for ur reply it worked just once for me and then again its the same problem only fan but no bios beep.
Thanks

Thanks for the reply i concenterated on reseating it and it started but again it was taking ages at the xp logo ,but after staying on when i switched it off again it wont start just the fan and no boot beep no display obviously,upon investigation i have found that one silver group of huge pins projceting is bend but it has got nothing to do with the processor (as far as i know)its like nails projecting out abt 110 silver pins.pls help me and i really appreciate ur previous reply ,
the questions is that the plastic stud kind of things that settle down the fan are broken so it is not getting properly fixed in the m.b,do u think that wld make any difference plus after taking off the fan found that thermal grease is like how boiling water gets vapoury kindof.
pls help
thanks

what are you talking about ( see item in red) what pins are those. the thermal grease is use to dissipate the heat between the heatsink and the CPU, no vapor thats bad for a CPU, do you see vapor buildup on the cpu.? is the heatsink firmly latch into place.

so the fan connector is broken? if its not sitting in the connector properly? this might be the reason why the fan is working intermittantly because of a poor connection.
And if the fan is working intermittantly then its going to overheat the cpu and make it run unstable and eventually die

I wish i cld send apicture abt those silver pins any ways thanks alot for ur help i think i wld try once ore by placing a new cooling fan that wld have proper studs or clips that wld latch it to the m.b properly
anything else that comes to ur mind pls let me know

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.