Hello
I have had problems with my RAM after installing it on the computer.
My motherboard is this: http://support.packardbell.com/se/item/index.php?i=spec_Auckland&ppn=PB34313691

RAM: http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=336009

After installing this ram I have had bluescreen with memory dump. Programs have also suddenly quited (firefox, skype, msn). I have updated my Bios, and also performed memtest, but memtest cannot find anything wrong with my RAM.
After installing my old ram again, my computer is stable.

One of the bluescreen messages is this: top: 0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0x805B1058, 0xB5B89AB0, 0x00000000)

Do you know what is wrong? I have asked on different forum, but no one seems to know the answer. If you want me to try to provide more information I will do that. I am not very familiar with adjusting setting in Bios, and my language is not english. Please tell me simple how I can solve this problem.

Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

A Stop 8e error is usually memory related.

Try using your new memory modules one at a time and see if problem is related to a specific module.

You may have a faulty module or timing issues with new memory.

Corsair manufactures quality memory, so your choice of brands was OK.

Ok, thank you. But that wont solve my problem.
Why didnt memtest show that I had a faulty module?
How do I change timings? Do I need to do that?

Ok, thank you. But that wont solve my problem.
Why didnt memtest show that I had a faulty module?
How do I change timings? Do I need to do that?

Memtest is not 100% accurate and may not catch errors which cause problems in Windows. Did you use memtest 86+ and let it run for at least 5 passes?

There are probably no memory settings you can change in your BIOS. If you can, lower memory bus speed (underclock RAM).

I ran memtest 86+ for 16 hours. So If I use one and one RAM, and finds out that one is working and the another not, I can rule out that my windows has some problems? Then I can go back to the shop and get money back or change RAM?

If one set of memory works without errors, Windows is not the problem.

Test. If both modules cause errors, return and exchange for a different brand.

0x0000008e relates to hardware compatibility issues. Seeing as your RAM is new that would be the source of the problem. The RAM might not be correct for your system. Check using the Crucial Memory Scanner:
http://crucial.com/systemscanner/loader.aspx?Agree=Yes
This will tell you what RAM your PC can support, check the details with the new RAM that you have bought, if there are any differences between what Crucial say, and the little label on the RAM itself, then it is most likely not compatible. The speed of the RAM does not matter, it is the type of RAM; such as DDR PC3200.

0x0000008e relates to hardware compatibility issues. Seeing as your RAM is new that would be the source of the problem. The RAM might not be correct for your system. Check using the Crucial Memory Scanner:
http://crucial.com/systemscanner/loader.aspx?Agree=Yes
This will tell you what RAM your PC can support, check the details with the new RAM that you have bought, if there are any differences between what Crucial say, and the little label on the RAM itself, then it is most likely not compatible. The speed of the RAM does not matter, it is the type of RAM; such as DDR PC3200.

all you need to do is click on the 2 links in first post and see they bought the right ram

My bad, Shows what a good reader i am :D
Well if it's not compatibility, could be a bad slot? But have you eliminated that already? Have you changed over any other Hardware along with the RAM?

I have changed PSU and graphics card.
I have not tried using the other slots, but since my old ram works with the slots I have always used, I cant see that as a problem.

And there was also other bluescreen messages than 0x0000008e. But I dont remember them

7e maybe?

Not sure. I will try to find out. Can there be something wrong with the voltage on the RAM?
Maybe I should adjust the voltage in BIOS?

Only adjust the RAM voltages if you know a lot about BIOS. If you could find the error code of the other BSOD, that would be good. Although the 8e one relates to Hardware in general, so could be something wrong with your graphics card perhaps? Seeing as you said that is the only other bit of Hardware that you have changed recently.

I dont think its something wrong with graphics card. I`ve had it for a while (before upgrading RAM) and nothing wrong happened to my system. Is it possible to find the other blueskreen messages on my computer or do I have to install the "bad" RAM again and wait for a crash?

Have you certainly eliminated that there is bad stick of RAM, or a bad slot? Move each stick of RAM, 1 at a time, booting in between to eliminate that a bad RAM slot could be to blame for this, also try looking for any finger prints or marks on the contacts for the RAM. Use a pencil eraser to remove any if they are there.

Serunson: Yes I will try that!

I recommended trying each stick of RAM in first response. Why didn't you try that instead of asking more questions?

I recommended trying each stick of RAM in first response. Why didn't you try that instead of asking more questions?

looking for easier solution!!!

Maybe some of the things that I have done to tweak winxp, can cause such problem? I have done quite much to tweak win xp. But no problems exept that RAM

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.