I was told motherboard was bad (opinion did not come from here ... but from Gateway Tech Support) so I put in a new MB in my GT 5082. Replaced because original problem was that the computer froze and though it would power up ... there was no display and reinstalling RAM made no change. Now I still have no display, hard-drive does not power up, and there is a constant, steady, repeating single-beep coming from the rear of the tower. Any ideas? BTW ... monitor is good and hard-drive worked as slave on another computer.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

a repeating beep indicates a bad RAM stick or a bad connection, reseat the RAM and see if that helps. also is the motherboard the exact same as the one before if it is different make sure you have the correct RAM for the new motherboard.

sound like you have bed memory. remove the memory models and test each seperately
Step: remove memory start pc -do ou hear the beep
shut down, install memory do you hear the beep. Shut down remove memory, install next module reboot do you hear the beep.

THIS IS BASE ON IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN ONE MEMORY MODULES.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.