Hi Guys and Gals,

I wanted to try set up my nVidia GeForce 7300GT. The problem is, I'm a cabinetmaker, and obviously I can't just hit it with a hammer until it fits.

I just don't understand what all the settings do or how they interact with each other. could anyone direct me to a site that speaks english on the subject, or maybe some guidance.

Thanks.

Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by joytech22

I just want to understand what all the different settings mean.

Antialiasing, Anisotropic filtering, Extention limit... I could go on but I wouldn't know where to stop.
I've checked the nVidia sites but it only tells you how to change the settings, not what they mean to, or how they effect system performance.

Antialiasing : a technique for smoothing out jagged lines in graphical computer output.
(this just helps the edges of letters and pictures look smooth)

Anisotropic filtering is a method of enhancing the image quality

not really sure what Extention limit is, but I did a search and found that most people keep it off.

I don't believe Antialiasing and Anisotropic filtering will effect your system performance.

unless you're a gamer I would just leave them at their default settings

If you wanted to know actually how to fit a graphics card in it is rather simple, just make sure you have the right card for the right slot e.g if you have a AGP card then you have to have a motherboard compatible with AGP and just line the card up and press it into the slot :)

If you know how to do this then :P

Bondi,
Thanks, I know to put it together. Thats the easy part.

Comp Doc,
I am a gamer, a carpenter, a designer. I am so many things. Aren't we all. one thing I'm not is an english major. I appriciate the explanations, but unless you are prepared to explain the whole list of settings, this forum doesn't seem to be working. I would like to find a site that can tell me how this is all supposed to work. So when I have problems of this sort or that sort, I can know what to do. Or at least know what NOT to do.

Im a gamer and to be honest I dont know what pixel shader is and stuff, all I know is that it makes the experiecnce of gaming better :) just if you where upgrading look for DX 10 :) if you have vista :)

Hope im helpful :-/

anti-aliasing makes those zigzaggy lines in games and things smooth.

Anisotropic filtering smoothes the textures so, for example a grass texture will blend nicely with A mud texture.

the higher these things are, the better quality you get but also strains the GPU (7300GT).

doesn`t worry me though, i have a 9800GTX.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.