Sorry if this is a dumb question, but i want to know what the difference is between svideo in and svideo out, and the same for composite, component, etc. This question came to my mind when i saw ports on my pc listed as svideo in and svideo out. Please explain the difference between the in and out on these ports. Thanks for your help.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but i want to know what the difference is between svideo in and svideo out, and the same for composite, component, etc. This question came to my mind when i saw ports on my pc listed as svideo in and svideo out. Please explain the difference between the in and out on these ports. Thanks for your help.

yup hate to agree but is a dumb ? .
simple put in= is for putting video/sound into the computer from another source.
out =is for taking video/sound out of the computer .

a laptop/computer with svideo out plug can be displayed on a TV with a svideo plug.by using a svideo cable .
also components work the same ,if a video card has a video in, it means you could connect tv to computer .if it has video capture device it can record from TV.hope this helps

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.