http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=13-128-241&depa=0&manufactory=BROWSE

thats the one I found for now, I have a few questions.

1) is Gigabyte good?
2) whats the advantage of dual Bios?
3)Should I look at another motherbaord because, this one has a defect that it only lets 1 stick of ram run at 400Mhz the other stick has to run slower.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

in short...
1) not really
2) incase u fry one trying to overclock the chip or just break it
3) thats a major problem and negates any future-proofing plans you may have

I would go for a better brand really. And certainly one that has working components on it :)
Lanparty (DFI) for performance, ABIT for stability, MSI for features, ASUS for a mix of stability and features(but questionable value).
Dual BIOS' are only really for the hardcore gamer who overclocks his chip and wants a bit of security in knowing he has a backup should he kill the bios or have to reset it for whatever reason. No real 'advantage' to the average user really.

commented: Good advice. -- dlh +1

yeah I was looking at the DFI one too looks good.

Also if it says 8x agp can u most likey lower it to 4x agp?

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=13-128-241&depa=0&manufactory=BROWSE

thats the one I found for now, I have a few questions.

1) is Gigabyte good?
2) whats the advantage of dual Bios?
3)Should I look at another motherbaord because, this one has a defect that it only lets 1 stick of ram run at 400Mhz the other stick has to run slower.

• I like my Gigabyte board, though I don't have that exact model.
  • Dual BIOS is cool because if you say, kicked the power to your box in the middle of a BIOS upgrade, you'd have a backup one. Also, you can have a "known good" BIOS revision on the backup BIOS, and then run the latest BIOS on the main BIOS. If there's some bug in the latest BIOS revision, you can boot using the old one. It's pretty neat, IMHO.
  • Where'd you get that information from? Was that something that one of the Newegg reviews posted? As always with those things, YMMV.

I wouldn't say Gigabyte boards are the end-all-be-all performance monster, but if you just need a board that works, Gigabyte will be great.

I want a perfromance motherbaord for my AMD 64 3400+ but I dont want to go over 130
I think the DFi LAN Party mobo is fine.

I'm not personally much of a 'fan' of DFI motherboards. I think their quality control procedures and general build quality are much lower than that of a manufacturer such as Gigabyte.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.