jah_ives 0 Newbie Poster

Good very evening to you all.

I have recently rigged up a gaming machine with the sli graphics, quad core, vista 64 bit etc etc. However i have currently got 2gb of 800mhz DDRII SLI Ready Performance RAM running at 2.1v, due to my upgrade to vista 64 bit i decided to buy another 2gb of the same RAM. I put the RAM in and thier is no display from the monitor at all. i tried the RAM in different slots etc. and i made sure it wasnt faulty by just trying the 2GB of the new RAM. All was fine.

I then tried just putting in 3GB, this evidently worked.

I have come to the conclusion, that this will possibly be my Power Supply not being able to handle the full 4 sticks of RAM.

It is however a 700watt performace power supply from Antec, and many of my friends have said this should run everything fine. If it is the power supply, i will go out tomorrow and buy a 1000 watt, but i dont want to spend 100 notes on something, if this issue can resolved another way. I.e. upping the voltage from the mobo maybe or something along them lines. Also when i overclocked my CPU my machine frequently was just shutting down without warning. upon checking the heat it was idling at around 38 degrees and topping 48 max under load. So it wasnt a heat problem. this again swayed me towards my power supply not having enough power for my machine.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated from anyone who has had this problem.

To sum up the above in plain text:

machine is turning on but not displaying output on monitor when i apply 4GB RAM

will work with 2 and 3GB of RAM

Power supply is 700watt.

Frequent restarts when upping CPU voltage even though temperature was at 48 max under load.

System Spec:

CPU: Intel Quad Core @ 2.4ghz per core ( was overclocked to 3.3ghz, but frequent shutting down occured)

GPU: 2x Zotac GeForce 8800GT 512MB OC Xtreme Edition

1TB Maxtor Sata II Hard Disk (2x RAID 0 1X Games

RAM: 2GB (4GB Soon hopefully :)) 800Mhz DDR2 Sli OCZ Performance

2x DVDRW Sony Duel Layer Drives

PSU: 700 Watt Antec Cooling

Many Thanks guys, if you need any more info just give me a shout!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.