Hey All,

I've been having this problem for a week now and it's driving me crazy. I work in IT, do network set-up/network administration/troubleshooting, pc repair and web design so I like to think that I know my way around computers but this has me pulling out my hair.

I got a 3G USB Modem and when I connect it to my laptop, I get the dreaded BSOD after a while. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes, sometimes it takes 3 hours but I get the BSOD.

The modem works fine in my desktop pc and my colleague at work also used it 3 days straight in his laptop and desktop without a problem (meaning that the problem is most likely with my laptop).

I have an Acer Aspire 3000, 1 Gig of Ram, Windows Xp Pro Service pack 3 (slipstreamed) with all the latest updates and drivers). My video card, sound card, WLAN and Bios are all updated with the latest drivers and I keep my laptop running as smooth as possible.

I installed this XP last week, so I'm pretty sure I don't have a virus or malware and scans with Bitdefender, Avast, Clamwin, Ad-Aware and SpyBot found nothing.

The BSOD gives the Driver_IRQL_Not less Or Equal message and it refers to a file "gt72ubus.sys".

Now, I know that it's one of the drivers of the 3g Modem but if the driver is bad, it should have also created problems on those other 3 pc's. It's the latest version of the driver and it seems to be creating a problem on my laptop.

I have tested my ram (which is still pretty new), I have uninstalled other devices (like my WLAN card) and it's gotten to the point where i'm getting hopeless.

I've increased my page file and now I'm running out of ideas. Searching gt72ubus.sys in Google doesn't return much and I've even tried with an older version of the file.

I still get the BSOD.

Please, does anyone have a clue or an idea. Maybe I'm missing something. If I need to give more info, please let me know.

Thank You

Forgot to add,

The 3G USB Modem is an iCon 225 from the company Option. When you search for that particular model on their website, you just get the drivers that are already loaded on to the USB stick. (which it auto-installs the first time you plug it in).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.