This problem is very difficult to describe so please bare with me. The computer is out of warranty so dell cannot help unfortunatly.

I am currently working on a Dell Inspiron 8200 with a Radeon Mobility 9000. When Windows comes up the screen is covered in small lines that do not span the entire screen. The lines are all one pixel tall but they vary in length. There is not pattern to the lines that I can tell. Sometimes you can refresh the screen and the will either move around, get worse or somethimes they even go away. I cannot get the video on the computer to perform consistantly enough to take a screen shot and send it unfortunatly.

When I reboot in safe mode the lines aren't there, however, when I start the computer and the dell logo comes on I see some of the lines, sometimes, they aren't as bad outside of windows but they are there. I have plugged in an external monitor and get the same results. I have tried with and without ac power and the battery. I installed new memory today to increase the speed in the computer and it had no effect on the video problems. If I leave the computer on for long periods of time the problem slowly goes away to the point that the screen looks normal (but it takes several hours for this to happen.)

I am having a real hard time determining if this is a hardware or software problem. I have not changed drivers out of fear that the problem could get worse. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,
Michael Seufer

Try downloading new drivers, if they do make the problem worse, simply roll-back the driver to the original. If this doesn't remedy the issue you may be able to find a replacement vid card for the puter. GL~Mav

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.