I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 x64, and I'm currently using the latest display drivers for my nVidia 8800GTX.

Playing games is now impossible. Every game I play causes my monitor to switch itself off for a few seconds, and when it powers back on the game will either continue playing (until the next time) or will have shut down completely. When this happens, there is an icon in the system tray; a yellow triangle with a black exclamation mark on it. When I check the Event Viewer, I see this error:

Log Name: System
Source: Display
Date: 01/08/2008 18:42:26
Event ID: 4101
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: [PC Name]
Description: Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Event XML:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Display" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">4101</EventID>
    <Level>3</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-08-01T17:42:26.000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>11277</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>[PC Name]</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>nvlddmkm</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

This happens randomly, and it happens with every single game I play, even crappy little PopCap and GameHouse games (not just Crysis!). Different resolutions, different graphics settings (anti-aliasing and such) have no bearing on the problem.

I've scoured the net for a solution to this extremely irritating problem, but everything I've tried hasn't worked. The steps I took are as follows:

New RAM: I was planning to upgrade my RAM anyway, and hoped that a by-product of this would be the eradication of this issue, but it didn't work. Strangely, the problem stopped for about 2 weeks, from the installation of the new RAM up until yesterday. Not sure what happened there...

Disabled GPU Ex in the BIOS: This function was off when the problem started, so I tried enabling it which didn't work, then re-disabling it and that didn't work.

Manual Expansion of nvlddmkm.sys: Someone on some forum said that the problem was caused by a cock-up in the expansion of this file when the drivers are installed, and I followed his/her instructions to manually expand the file from the install files. Didn't work.

Different Drivers: (When trying new drivers I uninstall the old ones, run Driver Cleaner .NET in Safe Mode, then install the new drivers from Windows again) I've tried the latest official drives, and the past 4 versions and several BETA versions, and tweaked/modded drivers from NGO. None of them made a difference.

I'm not overclocking any part of my system, and my BIOS is the latest version.

This problem only started when I moved from XP to Vista (it happens on the x86 version too, which is the version my brother uses with his 8800GT). I've had this card (and the entire system) since November of 2007, and it has never happened before - only when I upgraded to Vista. So, my PSU, motherboard and everything else for that matter is the same as before. The only change in circumstances is a new operating system. But, for the sake of completeness, here's a list of my specs:

Intel Q6600 Core 2 Quad 2.40 GHz
nVidia GeForce 8800GTX 768MB (Gainward)
ASUS Striker Extreme Motherboard
4GB Corsair XMS2 800MHz RAM (Originally 2 x 1GB, now 2 x 2GB)
OCZ Technology PC POWER & COOLING 750W SILENCER QUAD

Please, for the love of JEBUS, tell me how to fix this problem before I kill someone. I'm having withdrawal symptoms from my beloved carnage! Keep in mind that I can't be arsed selling my GTX on eBay and then buying an ATI :P

Thank you kindly, and may that first child be a masculine child.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I have the same problem. Except I have a laptop with a nVidia GeForce Go 7150M. Same error code too! From what you are describing, it sounds like we have the same problem. It fix it, I just disabled the hardware. My video sucks now with on-board, but at least it's something to consider!!!
And I have an AMD Turion 64 x2 2 GHz CPU w/ 1024 MB of video and Home Premium and it was pre-installed when I bought i t new.
Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply mate!

The weird thing is, from about 2 or 3 weeks after I posted this thread the problem just seemed to stop, and I haven't experienced it since. I'm not sure what happened between then and now (I'm still using the same drivers) so unfortunately I can't tell you how to fix it. I guess you can just do what I did and persevere haha. Update Windows regularly, and keep an eye out for new drivers for the hardware, that's all I can really recommend. nVidia won't help you, nor will Microsoft, so don't wait for them to fix it for you!

Good luck mate. And if you (or anyone else) ever finds an actual fix/workaround for this issue, please post it, you'd make a lot of people very happy! ;)

Cheers.

Ok, well, thanks for the help. I'll keep my eyes peeled for anything

The following microsoft update for intel chipsets is known to cause problems with some graphics cards -
KB936357

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.