I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 x64, and I'm currently using the latest display drivers for my nVidia 8800GTX.
Playing games is now impossible. Every game I play causes my monitor to switch itself off for a few seconds, and when it powers back on the game will either continue playing (until the next time) or will have shut down completely. When this happens, there is an icon in the system tray; a yellow triangle with a black exclamation mark on it. When I check the Event Viewer, I see this error:
Log Name: System
Date: 01/08/2008 18:42:26
Event ID: 4101
Task Category: None
Computer: [PC Name]
Description: Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> <System> <Provider Name="Display" /> <EventID Qualifiers="0">4101</EventID> <Level>3</Level> <Task>0</Task> <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> <TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-08-01T17:42:26.000Z" /> <EventRecordID>11277</EventRecordID> <Channel>System</Channel> <Computer>[PC Name]</Computer> <Security /> </System> <EventData> <Data>nvlddmkm</Data> </EventData> </Event>
This happens randomly, and it happens with every single game I play, even crappy little PopCap and GameHouse games (not just Crysis!). Different resolutions, different graphics settings (anti-aliasing and such) have no bearing on the problem.
I've scoured the net for a solution to this extremely irritating problem, but everything I've tried hasn't worked. The steps I took are as follows:
New RAM: I was planning to upgrade my RAM anyway, and hoped that a by-product of this would be the eradication of this issue, but it didn't work. Strangely, the problem stopped for about 2 weeks, from the installation of the new RAM up until yesterday. Not sure what happened there...
Disabled GPU Ex in the BIOS: This function was off when the problem started, so I tried enabling it which didn't work, then re-disabling it and that didn't work.
Manual Expansion of nvlddmkm.sys: Someone on some forum said that the problem was caused by a cock-up in the expansion of this file when the drivers are installed, and I followed his/her instructions to manually expand the file from the install files. Didn't work.
Different Drivers: (When trying new drivers I uninstall the old ones, run Driver Cleaner .NET in Safe Mode, then install the new drivers from Windows again) I've tried the latest official drives, and the past 4 versions and several BETA versions, and tweaked/modded drivers from NGO. None of them made a difference.
I'm not overclocking any part of my system, and my BIOS is the latest version.
This problem only started when I moved from XP to Vista (it happens on the x86 version too, which is the version my brother uses with his 8800GT). I've had this card (and the entire system) since November of 2007, and it has never happened before - only when I upgraded to Vista. So, my PSU, motherboard and everything else for that matter is the same as before. The only change in circumstances is a new operating system. But, for the sake of completeness, here's a list of my specs:
Intel Q6600 Core 2 Quad 2.40 GHz
nVidia GeForce 8800GTX 768MB (Gainward)
ASUS Striker Extreme Motherboard
4GB Corsair XMS2 800MHz RAM (Originally 2 x 1GB, now 2 x 2GB)
OCZ Technology PC POWER & COOLING 750W SILENCER QUAD
Please, for the love of JEBUS, tell me how to fix this problem before I kill someone. I'm having withdrawal symptoms from my beloved carnage! Keep in mind that I can't be arsed selling my GTX on eBay and then buying an ATI :P
Thank you kindly, and may that first child be a masculine child.