Hi Guys,
I hope someone can help me.
I have a Pavillion laptop and there is a problem with the AC power supply, I have purchased a couple of new adapters as my original one blew, i bought replacements, offical HP ones recommended by HP for the problem, and two of these also blew, so i have something wrong with the laptop. However i had to back-up some music and pictures on the remaining battery life, which didnt give me enough time so i know have a 5 year old laptop which i cannot boot up to back-up the stuff. Now, because it's 5 years old i really dont want to spend anymore money on it and i was wondering if there is any other options that i have which wont cost me any money, as i dont want to waste any more money on an old machine.
What i was wondering was if i attached my laptop to a PC via a USB cable, would i beable to transfer the data on the hard drive of the laptop onto the Hard drive of the PC, in effect using the laptop as an external hard drive just like an ipod, or is there no way the power of a PC would be able to power my laptop without the Laptop having it's own ac supply.
Any help on this would be much appreciated.
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Chris

You would not be able to connect the laptop to the desktop to use it as external drive but you do have a choice of taking hard drive out of the laptop and use it as secondary drive within a desktop using an adaptor which wont cost you more than few bucks. As the laptop drive connectors are different than the desktop mobo ones.

Here is the one i was recommended for similar process, hope it ll be worth for the price you pay.
http://www.directron.com/adpide23.html

Best of luck

Raj

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.