I want to reformat my harddrive (actually a raid array 0), but i want to backup basic settings and all the drivers that i have. I have customized values in the registry quite a bit, along with all of the services that start in in windows.

Is there a program that can make a copy of my information? For some reason I thought there was a program called norton ghost or something? I want everything ih ave right now, i just want my harddrives reformmated, and i want to make a partition for the pagefile.. if anyoen coudl figure it out, i would also love to put system files on a partition.. yet keeping all of my settings that i currently have? haha. i have a 3rd harddrive i can back things up on.. so that isnt an issue.

thanks for any ideas/comments!

-JonnyBlaze

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Are you wanting to format just to create a new partition? If so you could probably avoid that by using Partition Magic to create a new partition with unused disk space, I haven't done this with XP but I have in Win98 and Win2000. Norton Ghost is a good program and you could use it to either clone your system to another drive or make an image file out of it (probably better to make the image file) and copy it to another drive. I beleive the newest Ghost will even let you burn it to CD's or DVD's, although I haven't used it that way, I have Ghosted many 98 and Windows 2000 drives.

Nero Ultra will also allow you to burn a bootable image of your system for restoration, PowerQuest makes another software package you could use for cloning as well.

you can tell windows to not use page file till it's used up all the ram...if you manage to use up that much ram. Why do you want it on another partition though?? the Disk head can only be in one place at a time.. it does not need to be on another partition?

also you can save windows XP role back files which contain all of the driver settings etc, and then restore to that after you have reinstalled

Are you wanting to format just to create a new partition? If so you could probably avoid that by using Partition Magic to create a new partition with unused disk space, I haven't done this with XP but I have in Win98 and Win2000. Norton Ghost is a good program and you could use it to either clone your system to another drive or make an image file out of it (probably better to make the image file) and copy it to another drive. I beleive the newest Ghost will even let you burn it to CD's or DVD's, although I haven't used it that way, I have Ghosted many 98 and Windows 2000 drives.

Nero Ultra will also allow you to burn a bootable image of your system for restoration, PowerQuest makes another software package you could use for cloning as well.

Thank you! someone who actually answered my question! haha. I didnt think i was crazy. I thought there was a norton ghost. I will have to look into getting norton ghost, hopefully it isnt more than 50 dollars.. although i am guessing it is. I have the newest version of nero. Maybe my plan will work.

Thanks again

-JonnyBlaze

you can tell windows to not use page file till it's used up all the ram...if you manage to use up that much ram. Why do you want it on another partition though?? the Disk head can only be in one place at a time.. it does not need to be on another partition?

jhow is it that one goes about telling it to use up physical ram first? I dont see why the system would ever want to use pagefile first.

Why not have it on another partition? Its still on the same logical drive. That way nothing gets fragmented, and you can have it furthest out on the platters... why int he world would you NOT want to do it this way? soo much faster. Thats why i want to do it, i just dont know if the hardship is worth it.

Also, i am not worrying about my harddrive getting there fast enough, i have dual raided raptors at 10000 rpm

Powerquest products have been 'taken over' by Symantec, and now form the basis of the Norton products referred to. I personally prefer the lesser known products from Paragon:

http://www.paragon-gmbh.com/

Your system files are certainly best kept on the first partition of your primary drive. Programs on a partition of their own, and data files kept separate also. The pagefile can be kept on it's own partition as well, of course, although to tell the truth I don't believe it makes enough appreciable difference to be worth the effort, especially with fast drives such as you already have.

Was it instructions for actually achieving these ends you were after? I'm not fully clear from your post.

By the way, the comments from suRoot are certainly a bit 'wide of the mark' in relation to the question, but in a Public forum questions attract answers from a range of people with a range of experiences. Reacting intolerantly and aggressively is not necessarily helpful either ;)

Ghost will do what you are looking to do.
I still use an older version about 700kb and it has saved me many times.
Every time I set up a system for anyone I ghost the system to a DVD.
I recently used to Nero Backup to DVD option that works well...
I have only used it once but it did make a bootable DVD that should be able to restore everything.
FYI I too run a RAID setup...
I think it is the single best option that will enhance the overall performance of a system.
I will even opt for a slower processor to save enough money for the RAID setup.
Never a dropped frame on captured video...
Sorry... I am rambling on...
Yes Ghost or Nero6 will do the job...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.