Hiyas

Warning.. not a strong tech background here. LOL

So, I have been running here with 2 video cards, both are nVidia GeForce 7950 GT. I have it set up with dual monitors.. BUT with one card handling each monitor. I have loved this setup vs having one card power both monitors. Well, my 2nd card died on me. I have spent the day trying to set up the single card to handle both monitors in the same fashion, but it just isn't looking as nice. *shrug* For instance, before I had my Toolbar at the bottom on just the main monitor and now it is stretched between both.. and I can't get the resolution to set to a different size on Monitor 2, so the stuff on it looks... well, odd. Anyway... I realize I am hooked on using dual video cards... meaning.. oh yeah, time to replace the dead one.

As I said, I'm not techie... but I really don't want to have to drag this thing into a computer shop. I know I can do this.. as long as I don't mess up on the purchase and find that other things need to be upgraded as well. LOL!

I have been noticing the 8800 GTS mentioned as a good choice..
I am also looking at the 9800 GT, which is actually cheaper with a rebate at the moment.

They both show as being PCI Express 2.0.. yet I guess some cards are compatible with 1.x.. *shrug* Brain is spinning.. LOL

Anyway, below is what I have... Any suggestions on which card I should replace the bad 7950 GT with?

Intel Core 2 6400 @ 2.13GHz
2048 MBytes Memory

Motherboard is showing ASUSTek
Model: P5N-E SLI 1.XX
Chipset: NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI SPP

You don't need 2 cards to do the dual screen thing properly. I have 1 card, 2 screens and have the taskbar on one not the other, and have different resolutions on each one.

I use NVidia control panel. Right click on the desktop and it should be an option, if not you'll need to download it from NVidia but I'm pretty sure it comes with the graphics drivers.

I go 'setup multiple displays' and choose 'dualview' (configured independently).

Then you can go to the standard windows menu (right click desktop > properties). You'll see pictures of 2 monitors. Click and drag them over each other if the left/right is the wrong way around. Set the resolution for each one.

As for recommending a new card, it's difficult to know your price/performance requirements.
Cheap = 9800GT. If you're looking at the GTS, make sure the RAM is 512 not 320 or 640. That tells you it's the 'newer' model.
Mid = GTX260 or 9800GTX+ or AMD's 4870
Top = GTX280 or 4870X2

I'd recommend posting a question about this on SLIzone here: http://forums.slizone.com/index.php?showforum=24

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.