I don't know a thing about what those pins at the back of CD-ROM drive do.

Just out of curiosity:

Is there some combination of pins that gives (for example) "PLAY" function or "EJECT", etc.

In other words: if you would have an autonomus power suplly exact to requirements for CD-ROM drive, would it be possible to have a simple interface with buttons connected to some pins on CD-ROM to controle it's functions?

Can it work autonomuslly at all?!?

Maybe there is some other way to controle it's functioning?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Which pins? There are usually:

1. The IDE data cable connector.
2. Power.
3. Jumper pins to set slave/master/cable select (if you have 2 drives on the one cable/IDE channel).
4. Analog CD audio out (connect to your sound card).
5. Digital CD audio out (as above).

You can control your CD-ROM drive's function quite easily from within Windows! Just right click the drive in My Computer or Explorer.

I think he is wanting a stand alone player...

I have seen some that have additional buttons on the front for play stop etc. and it would work as a stand alone, but I dont know of any way to jumper the data lines to trigger a play event etc..

Which pins? There are usually:

1. The IDE data cable connector.
2. Power.
3. Jumper pins to set slave/master/cable select (if you have 2 drives on the one cable/IDE channel).
4. Analog CD audio out (connect to your sound card).
5. Digital CD audio out (as above).

You can control your CD-ROM drive's function quite easily from within Windows! Just right click the drive in My Computer or Explorer.

No, no, no, no. You missinterpretted. I DON'T KNOW WHAT IDE PINS DO, I know what plugs are used for what at the back of CD-ROM drive.

Like the guy below said - I want to make it work autonomously.
(I have an old, used-up, reading-laser-head-went-almost-dead, CD-ROM which I "use as a paper-weight" right now, so I don't really care even if I screw things up completely)

Just for the sake of techtalk...

Come on! Someone! Please answer!

I was under the impression that the IDE pins are purely for data transfer - I don't think there's a specific pin or two designed especially for eject/play commands. Still, I might be wrong. I suggest you perform some heavy googling and look up IDE specifications or something along that line.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.