I purchased a CD-R/RW DVD-R/RW drive for my Sony laptop. The TEAC drive functions as a CD-R/RW properly using Easy CD Creator (ecdc ). It will not write a DVD-R using ecdc, it says I have the wrong media type. am using a DVD-R disk, could I be needing a DVD+R disk ?? What is the difference ?? Someone told me needed Nero 6. The DVD drive will not play DVD movies as well.
Thanks,
Garland
:o)

Contributors
Replies
Views
14 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Dani

What, exactly, are the specs of your burner. DVD+RW and DVD-RW are two different standards/technologies that are incompatible. I, for example, have a Sony DVD+RW drive. It will ONLY write to DVD+RW disks. It won't even write to DVD+R disks! (Nevermind DVD-R/W)

There are some new combo drives out that can handle both + and - R/RW.

As far as I am aware, the only difference is in the technology. Since writing to DVD's (4.7 gigs) is somewhat new, the technology hasn't been standardized yet and therefore multiple standards currently exist.

Based on the e-mail you sent me with the specs of your burner, it only supports DVD-R and DVD-RW media. ECDC has always been a lil flaky when writing to DVDS ... I would try Nero and see if that works. Otherwise call up the manufacturer and ask them their recommended software. Technically, ECDC *should* work if your drive is properly configured.

Considering the drive will not play DVD movies either, it appears to be incorrectly configured as a DVD reader/writer. Make sure you're using the latest hardware firmware. Does Windows recognize it as a DVD drive?

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.