I have a new Asus A7VT Terminator barebones system and 2 identical sticks of TwinMOS 128MB PC2700 DDR-DIMM. The CPU is an AMD Sempron 2400+.

The PC will POST fine with 1 DIMM installed. It doesn't matter which DIMM or socket used. The Award BIOS recognizes it as DDR333 and the BIOS will automatically set the DRAM frequency to 166MHz. If I install a second DIMM, though, the PC will not POST. I've tried manually setting all the timings to safe values and tried the BIOS's preset "Safe" timing options. The only way I can get it to POST with the 2 TwinMOS DIMMS is to manually set the DRAM freqency to 133MHz.

I tried the 2 TwinMOS DIMMs in another PC and it worked fine at 166MHz. I tried 2 sticks of Buffalo PC3200 256MB DIMMs with the Asus and it worked fine. It seems to be something with 2 TwinMOS DIMMs and the Asus MB.

Asus support hasn't called me back as promised after all their techs were busy.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Josh

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Is the board dual channel? It sounds like that memory just might not be compatible with the board. I'd look at RMA'ing it, or at least trading a friend, etc.

Yes, it's dual channel. It has a VIA KM266 Pro chipset. The memory from my other system that worked fine is Buffalo PC3200 DDR. I can get the TwinMOS to work with both DIMMs installed, but I have to manually set the BIOS DRAM Freq. to 133MHz instead of 166MHz. The TwinMOS worked fine in my other system as DDR at 166MHz

Thanks,

Josh

I would suspect an incompatibility, personally. Is swapping/returning for credit an option on that RAM?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.