Hi folks! I'm a techie amatuer who needs help! :rolleyes:

Upon booting, CHKDSK comes on, staing HD needs to be checked for consistency.

However, CHKDSK freezes in the middle of fixing disk errors. (It finishes checking security descriptors, then states its adding "data attributes" to a number of specific files before dying.) Upon freezing, machine reboots, no operating system found comes up.

I then can only enter windows by cancelling CHKDSK. After about 20 minutes of use, my computer crashes--"Blue Screen O' Death" comes up with Memory Dump error message.

I also installed Norton Systems Works, with Disk Doctor stating it will diagnose disk upon rebooting machine, but it doesn't!

:?: 1) Can my HD be fixed? Or in the words of the immortal Dr. Leonard McCoy: "It's dead Jim!" :-|

:?: 2) Should I install a new HD?

Thanks so much in advance for any advice! :cool:

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

1. Can you give us some specifics on the history of the problem (when did it start happening, did you make any hardware/software changes around that time, etc.)?

2. "After about 20 minutes of use, my computer crashes--"Blue Screen O' Death" comes up with Memory Dump error message"

Give us the full and exact contents of the error message(s) you get from those BSODs.

3. Boot into Safe Mode and see if the problem occurs there. You get to the Safe Mode startup option by hitting the F8 key as your computer is booting up. Hit the F8 key just as the BIOS's RAM, hard drive, etc. detection messages are finishing scrolling by, but before you see a "Starting Windows"-type screen.

4. What is the make/model of your computer? It may come with separate diagnostics which you can use without having to boot into Windows at alll. If your system has such tools, they can help us determine if this is a problem related to a hardware failure, and if so, they might even be able to point to the exact problem area.

Thanks for your well thought out questions! I will be responding with details shortly after I get the info you requested!

1. Can you give us some specifics on the history of the problem (when did it start happening, did you make any hardware/software changes around that time, etc.)?

2. "After about 20 minutes of use, my computer crashes--"Blue Screen O' Death" comes up with Memory Dump error message"

Give us the full and exact contents of the error message(s) you get from those BSODs.

3. Boot into Safe Mode and see if the problem occurs there. You get to the Safe Mode startup option by hitting the F8 key as your computer is booting up. Hit the F8 key just as the BIOS's RAM, hard drive, etc. detection messages are finishing scrolling by, but before you see a "Starting Windows"-type screen.

4. What is the make/model of your computer? It may come with separate diagnostics which you can use without having to boot into Windows at alll. If your system has such tools, they can help us determine if this is a problem related to a hardware failure, and if so, they might even be able to point to the exact problem area.

OK- do that, and we'll take it from there. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.