Well Ive decided to build a comp and i got all the details and the info on what i want ive talked to stores and got everything i need then i ran across a problem i cant seem to find a cooling system for the CPU plz help me :confused:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
The Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 M/b- 1600MHz FSB ill post more if you ask thanks

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Im Just trying to find any ive been to thermal takes site and they dont seem to support Quad cores

It will still fit

The CPU is the same size as a core2duo it just runs hotter

Try Zalmann?

You after air or water cooling?

yeah ive tried Zalman but It says Page error in Korean or sumthing and ive heard bad things about liquid cooling somthing about cracks and that they are really hard to maintain

Yeah but if you want to overclock to 3+ghz water cooling is the way to go.

if youve got a quad i assume you are a gamer, in which case you probably are into overclocking.

No not really i just want a fan nothing like water cooling and i dont like water and electrical mixing anyway
The case im gonna have is a Thermaltake Spedo Advance and im not sure if it will supply enough cool air to the internal components its my first time doing this type of thing.

Also Is a 750W power supply sufficent

Probably. Is it an expensive one? Cheaper ones never tend to put out anywhere near what they say. How many amps are the 12v current supply(s)? Thats whats critical with regards to the CPU and GPU.

You doing SLI?

I am not sure if this is helpful to you or not, but I'll throw it out there. I purchased this processor last year from Newegg:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Retail

I am using the heatsink and fan that came with the Retail box and have never had it overheat on me. I do not overclock my CPUs so if you are looking to overclock, you will need something beefier to keep your CPU from frying.

I am also using an Antec 900 case, which is basically a black stylized 4 fan wire-mesh case, so that helps.

One thing to note about the power supply you choose, the wattage is not as important as the Efficiency. A high-wattage low efficiency power supply can give you trouble if you are building a gaming rig.

For my PSU I run:

Thermaltake Toughpower W0128RU 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

Sorry, forgot to include it last post. The efficiency is 85% (up to), which I wanted to go higher, but the price starts to increase significantly (or did when I was buying).

85% is very good for a psu anyway

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.