I am attempting to fix a computer that was attacked by a nasty virus. I have recently zeroed the drive to wipe it clean. I am now trying a fresh reinstall of windows XP and the computer will not recognize my hard drive. It also will not recognize my second cd drive. Furthermore, BIOS does not have listed in the IDE Configuration menu. I have had this happen before, but have always managed to fix it in the usual ways. This time I am stumped. Here is a list of things i have tired:
1. Using another hard drive - i have tried other hard drives that i know workand i have had no luck
2. Replace IDE cable - this was a desperate move, it didn't work
3. Runnig the Dell diagnostics disk - it crashed when testing the hardware and it won't run correctly
4. Installing XP - tells me there is no hard drive connected to my computer
5. Wiping drive clean with Knoppix (using another computer)
Just to test the hard drive i installed XP onto it using another computer. The installation was perfect and the hard drive worked fine. I think this computer just hates me.