I've recently been looking into upgrading my computer, because it seems a waste to buy a new one when this one is only 2 years old and only really lacks RAM. Note that this is my first time planning something like this, but my father, who tinkered for years before settling on one computer, is there if I need him.

That being said, I've found conflicting information as to how much RAM my computer currently has. It is a Compaq Presario SR1603WM and the properties say it has 222 (or so, it's shut down right now so I can't double check) while the model specs say it has 256. My father suggested I open it and look at it, but I'd rather not if I don't have to, as it would be a hasle to do with its current placement.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

The specs HERE seem to suggest this model comes with 256MB. I don't know why properties say 222MB, but my guess is that your onboard video has reserved some of it.

Since you mention it, my system has 1024MB (2x512) but says only 1.00 GB in properties. Never really thought too deeply about that before.

Whatever the case, more RAM and a graphics card would be a nice addition to that setup in my opinion (although a graphics card means deciding whether your power supply is up to it).

The specs HERE seem to suggest this model comes with 256MB. I don't know why properties say 222MB, but my guess is that your onboard video has reserved some of it.

Since you mention it, my system has 1024MB (2x512) but says only 1.00 GB in properties. Never really thought too deeply about that before.

Whatever the case, more RAM and a graphics card would be a nice addition to that setup in my opinion (although a graphics card means deciding whether your power supply is up to it).

Yeah, a video card and matching power supply is on my list, too, but it's not as pressing as RAM, because I don't own any game that my graphic card can't handle. So I should go on the assumption that the specs are correct? Also, the reason yours is different is probably due to the difference between the two ways memory is measured. One measurement is irregular while the other uses even numbers.

1024MB = 1.00 GB Your system just uses the easiest measurement, as most new systems do.

Yeah, a video card and matching power supply is on my list, too, but it's not as pressing as RAM, because I don't own any game that my graphic card can't handle. So I should go on the assumption that the specs are correct? Also, the reason yours is different is probably due to the difference between the two ways memory is measured. One measurement is irregular while the other uses even numbers.

It is your video card allocating RAM for itself. Boot your system and go into BIOS and it should recognize all 256MB.

Ok, that makes sense. One other question: When it comes to the minimum and recommended requirements for games and such, do they go by the actual amount of RAM, or the amount of RAM left after what the videocard uses?

Ok, that makes sense. One other question: When it comes to the minimum and recommended requirements for games and such, do they go by the actual amount of RAM, or the amount of RAM left after what the videocard uses?

It is looking for the amount of RAM in your system, but depending on the game I would go with the amount left after the video allocation. That will make sure the game runs smooth.

Ok, thanks a lot:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.