When I turn my computer on the fan starts and instead of booting on, the computer beeps continually. Nothing on the monitor. The only way I can turn the machine off, is by unplugging it. Anyone out there to advise me what is going on, please???????????????

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

First thing I'd do is disconnect all usb devices and also be sure to check or swap the kweyboard. Can you get into BIOS Setup? Next reseat the RAM sticks. Then one at a time remove add on cards except video card and attempt power up for each one. (best in the order they were added) Keep removing items in this fashion until the beeping stops. This includes all internal drives and switches (other than the power switch) as well. When beeping stops note the last item removed and check condition or replace that item. you can go all the way to just motherboard, power supply, and power switch. If you get all the way to this point then it is one of the two motherboard or power supply.

Note: Try holding power switch for about 4 seconds to turn off without unplugging. (This is not recommended when booted into any operating system as it is the equivalent of unplugging as implemented by motherboard.)

Good luck,

Thank you for the info, I'm not very computer literate. What does the BIOS setup look like? And I did try holding the power switch.

When I turn my computer on the fan starts and instead of booting on, the computer beeps continually. Nothing on the monitor. The only way I can turn the machine off, is by unplugging it. Anyone out there to advise me what is going on, please???????????????

when you turn on a computer and it beeps continually, this usually means that a key on the keyboard is stuck. So the the first step would be to check the keyboard for any keys that might be stuck or if you have a different keyboard, try it and see if the beeping continues.

what you need to do is start the pc with bare minimum connected, disconnect every thing except the screen! (disconnect the keyboard and mouse) if it still beeps then you know its internal, then what you do is remove the ram,if the beep stays the same then you know it is the ram that is faulty. if the beep changes then you know its something else.

The BIOS is the earliest setup screen for the computer and is accessed by pressing the "Delete" Key or one of the "F#" keys (usually F1 or F2). Three out of three replies point out the keyboard as one of the first things to check, have you checked it?

boot to your recovery disk..

check in the bios options...there is an option for a silent boot you cant hear any beeps. If you hear one beep every time your computer starts then you don't have to worry about this...

re-set your memory cards...

what you need to do is start the pc with bare minimum connected, disconnect every thing except the screen! (disconnect the keyboard and mouse) if it still beeps then you know its internal, then what you do is remove the ram,if the beep stays the same then you know it is the ram that is faulty. if the beep changes then you know its something else.

I've got 5(!) old computers from my school.
I've re-installed one (it was win2000, now it is win server 2003) and it worked (yay, my 63,573,243,234th operating system succesfull installed).
I've put some extra ram in it and a new drive, connected it to the screen, keyboard and mouse, tryed to start it and:
Beep...Beep...Beep...Beep...Beep...Beep...Beep...Beep...Beep...Beep
(-_-)
I've removed the ram and retryed:
*The system is booting up
*"Windows Server 2003" appears
And instead of the login dialog:
*The monitor says the computer isn't on.
*The computer says (after some time):
Beep.Beep.Beeep..Beep.Beep.Beeep..Beeeep..BeepBeep..Beep.Beep.Beep.Beep

Sounds great! But I want to use my server, I didn't want a concert (The drums where playing too).

HELP! (I've already put the first drive on master and the seconth on slave... I'm not THAT stupid.)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.