The relevant parts of my system;

Asus P4v800-x M/Board (via VT8237 SATA raid controller)
512MB DDR-400
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB SATA 8MB cache
Western Digital WD200 20GB ATA
Inno3d GeforceFx 5200 128MB

The problem;

Up till a few days ago everything was working well. Now, my system hangs when booting to windows xp. I tried using Maxtor Powermax to check if there's any problems with the drive but it doesn't seem to detect the h/drive. Can someone help me?

Contributors
Replies
Views
13 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Chilliwilli

try booting into safe mode, have you installed anything in the last few days that might have changed any vital system files?

tried booting in safe mode, still didn't work. It hangs after the Windows XP splash screen. Nope, none installed.

i've tried to repair it but it hangs when its says verifying the h/disk. i've inserted the driver for it. but it just hangs there.

i've tried to repair it but it hangs when its says verifying the h/disk. i've inserted the driver for it. but it just hangs there.

You're pressing F6 at the initial loading screen, correct?

Try downloading a newer driver.

You're pressing F6 at the initial loading screen, correct?

Try downloading a newer driver.

yup i did that...it just says verifying h/disk 120MB...and hangs there... :cry:

Mine does the same thing i have a 200gb sata and a 60gb IDE. windows is installed on the 60gb when it boots up it shows the splash screen and then it goes black but when i unplug the sata cable whilst the screen is black it boots up normally?? It has been working perfectly for about 2 months, I have tried it in another system with totally different devices and it does exactly the same thing so it looks like its faulty and im gonna send it back!!!

I have exactly the same problem. I wonder if these maxtor have a big problem. Has anybody actually got one working after this problem?

Ebuyer have sent me a replacment now. I will try it tonight.

Tom

I have the exact same trouble but I'm having difficulty getting ebuyer to give me a return as they keep insisting I supply them with a PowerMax error code.. which of course I can't get what with it needing drivers and all. Any suggestions?

Have you tried getting into the system setup screen to clear up the nvram and to load setup defaults?

caperjack: running powermax just seems to hang on the detect drives phase. I guess it doesn't have support forr Via's VT6420 yet or that Via's chip isn't compatible with whatever method it uses to access SCSI (if it does at all)

gdancel: I've reset the BIOS a number of times, chosen defaults, optimized defaults etc.. Doesn't seem to have any effect.

Should powermax be able to detect drives on scsi controllers?

Just to let you know that after some nagging eBuyer agreed that the drive needed replacing and it's been replaced as I type. I based my evidence on Via's sata/raid controller testing software returning the the drive failed in PIO and DMA modes. Cheers all. Tom.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.