My laptop has been turning off while I'm still on the computer. The screen would turn off but the power light will still be on. When I try to turn it back or or press ctrl+alt+delete, nothing happens. I have to take out the battery and unplug the cord just to get it to come back on.

Then yesterday it shut off and when I tried to turn it back on the power button will flash for a couple min. and the turn back off. The battery light is on so it seems to be getting power from the cord, I just cant get it to work.

I tried gateway support but they were no help at all. It took the guy 30 min. just to tell me I was only covered through Best Buy and I needed to call some Gateway Q & A hotline that has a low rate fee. Whatever.

So if anyone has any help for me that would be greatly appriciated.

Thank You,
Cortney

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Have you tried powering the laptop without the battery? Take it out and see if it still gets power from the cord.

Have you tried powering the laptop without the battery? Take it out and see if it still gets power from the cord.

Yes I have tried doing it without the battery and it still wont turn on. I press the power button and the light will just flash and then turn back off. I've tried just the battery and it will do the same thing. A friend of mine says that he thinks maybe it's not reading the hard drive, but I don't know.

Okay, when you are charging the battery does the light come on?

I am thinking there is no power getting to laptop. a flashing light usually indicates a flat battery.

If there is something wrong with the harddrive the laptop should bleep, if it doesn't boot up the laptop should still turn on.

Okay, when you are charging the battery does the light come on?

I am thinking there is no power getting to laptop. a flashing light usually indicates a flat battery.

If there is something wrong with the harddrive the laptop should bleep, if it doesn't boot up the laptop should still turn on.

When I'm charging the battery the light does come on. But if I'm just using the power cord and no battery the laptop should still come on right?

When I'm charging the battery the light does come on. But if I'm just using the power cord and no battery the laptop should still come on right?

Yes thats right, it should turn on without the battery and work normally.

Yes thats right, it should turn on without the battery and work normally.

Ok, well when I press the power button it still wont turn on. the light will just flash for a min. and the turn off.

Okay, have you charged the battery up?

What I want you to try is charge the battery, the charge light should go off once charged(Do this without the laptop being on). Then remove the powercord and try turning on the laptop.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.