I have a Dell Laptop running Windows XP and a pretty standard Dell 101 keyboard plugged straight into a USB port. I'm running MS Office version 2007.
Sometimes when I start an application (any of the office programmes, including outlook, Windows explorer, Oracle) and sometimes when I've been typing for ten minutes or so, the keys on the keyboard will suddenly become "muddled up", as if someone has moved all the keys around. Always the same format: the "/" is a "z", "q" is a "," etc.
I've swapped out the keyboard for a new one--same problem, so it's not the keyboard itself.
I have to close the application and open it again. Whatever the application, it will affect all aspects and all open windowsof that app. I have to close that application and open it again. then it's fine until it decides to do it again.
I'm going mad. Please help.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Malware could easily be the cause of your problem. What protective software do you use?

Malware could easily be the cause of your problem. What protective software do you use?

Thanks. It does seem like a malware problem of some sort. Any ideas?
I am one of more than 150 computer users in the company working off a central server on which the full MacAffee package is loaded and running. We ran a virus check and couldn't find anything on my machine. No one else has complained to our IT Dept about the same problem.
When typing this reply on-screen it did it again. I had to get out of Explorer, open it again, and start again. very frustrating!

Thanks Ric. I ran Malwarebytes. 3 objects infected. BUT are they safe to remove. Vendor is Disabled.Security Centre; Category is Registry Data; and the items are all HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Centre\
One is \AntivirusDisableNotify
the 2nd is \FirewallDisableNotify
and the 3rd is \UpdatesDisableNotify
All three are Bad(1) Good(0)
Do I "Remove Selected"?
Thanks, Ian

Hi, sorry. Please ignore my last question.
Looking at the forum posts on Malwarebytes and elsewhere, these three just indicate that my Security Centre settings are "off" and won't warn me about firewall/antivirus software updates etc. Well I'm in a domain so they are off. Nothing to do with my keyboard problem and no other malware.
Any other thoughts?
Thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.