Are there any cases with dust filters that work well, im tired of the nasty crud that builds up in my case. my cooling needs are very modest, i just want a case that years from now will have almost no dust inside (or no dust at all!).

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Are there any cases with dust filters that work well, im tired of the nasty crud that builds up in my case. my cooling needs are very modest, i just want a case that years from now will have almost no dust inside (or no dust at all!).

Nothing will ever competly dust free years down the road even if they have filters, and cases with filters will need the filters to be cleaned or no air flow will go through them. There are cases that will help as they have front and rear filters on the fans and i hear they work rather well, but you have to remember that dust really isnt a big problem unless it is extreamly bad. I would suggest forgetting about it and take an air hose off of a compressor and just blast all the crap out of it once a year...you will be perfectly fine doing that. If you really want filters you can install filters right over your fans (saving you money from a new case). Here is an example from newegg. fan filter Hope this helps :cheesy:

I would recommend Thermaltake cases if you plan on buying a case. Most of their cases are made in aluminum so they are lighter and I believe it help a bit with cooling. They also have dust filters.

I have a Thermaltake Tsunami case myself and I am more than pleased with it. It came with a front filter that I can remove in 10 seconds and a side fan filter. I swipe off the dust about 3 times a month and there is almost no dust buildup in the case. It's only when my pc is turned off that some dust can enter through the rear exhaust where I have no filter. Its ventilation is very good. All their cases come with plenty of features.

i just want a case that years from now will have almost no dust inside (or no dust at all!).

Every 6 months, drop your PC in to a repair shop and get them to clean it for you! Or do it yourself.

easy peasy just get a can of Co2 which is just compressed air in a can and blow out the dust its as simple as that

well compressed air is real good. but be wary though about the temperature difference in the ambient temp. the air coming out of the can might be colder and *might* form condensation.

well me i need good case ventilation because i use my comp for long hours. it usually gets rests for only 4 hours a days. and many times non at all. i have filters. but my case has no filter that came with it. i modded my pc. you can really do nothing but to have some one clean it or you clean it hehe. i have read in some guide though that positive air pressure will lessen dust accumulation. goodluck

Another approach to this problem is to use case ventilation to 'pressurise' the inside of the case. Have the fans organised so that their is more air intake than air exhaust. Use filters with the fans, of course, and be very attentive to system cooling because this configuration will act to increase internal temperatures. It's not suitable, for example, for a games system but it could be quite useful for a server or a desktop workstation.

Nothing can eliminate the need to regularly clean filters, of course, but the use of positive pressurisation can reduce the build-up of dust on internal components, and reduce the overall amount of dust being drawn towards the internals of the PC.

thanks for that info rather involved isn't it just use the dust blower and a very very soft brush to assist in wiping the circuit board clean providing there is no heavy layering of dust on the pcb boards will also rejuvenate your computers speed to prevent sluggish operation probably every 3 months or so would do the trick to keep on top of it

well you might want to go easy on the brush....static kills

ive cleaned litterally thousands of pc's with inches of dust on them with just an air compressor...not a single problem and its very fast...done twice a year and you are more than fine

that is what I used to do... Im happy I dont have to clean mine up that much. At least theres no buildup on the heasink or narrow spaces, mostly on top of the video card, and at the bottom of my case, but not much.

I use a computer case filter that mounts in a drive bay and pressurizes the cabinet with filtered air. It keeps all the crud out. It is made by a company called jdfiltermfg. They are quite and cheap.

Ok. I was looking online myself as I had the same problem that you have and wanted to take action. I found this article titled The Plexiglas Computer Dust Solution written by some chick named Kelly Williams which was real helpful. I think she really did some good research and so I bought a dust cabinet here is the link: http://searchwarp.com/swa288934.htm . She says the dust filters, flat filters, or dirt bags are not any good and uses 4 patents, including one issued to IBM to make her points. I smoked a few bowls before I finished reading all 6 pages of it but it will probably save me $366 in repair bills from all that dust because I just got my computer several months ago and spent $250 having it serviced at home by the Geek Squad guys and just cannot afford any more downtime. So far so good I cahnge the filter every 10 days.

Try the dustypc computer filter. It fits in a half height drive bay and is powered by the computers power supply. It blows filtered air into the computer cabinet keeping all the crud out. It also cools your system down and that can extend the life of your system. They have a web site that it their name.

I do as most here do and just blow it out with a compressor every month. I also have a small paint brush that I use to clean off the blades of case and CPU cooling fans as dust sticks to them in more humid weather. I used to have a copper cooler on my old AMD A64 that had tons of thin fins packed very close together. It cooled like a dream but clogged up very very easily. My current cooler has larger fins spaced apart farther with a bigger fan and I have no clog issues. I also took off all of the fan grills in the front and back (yea, I know its dangerous), which allows the air to flow freer and the dust won't build up on them.

Another little tip that I have learned of from experience is that a case on the floor will collect much more dust than one on a desk or on a shelf. The intake vents are in the front on the very bottom of the case. When on the floor, it will suck up just about any passing by dust or hairball that is within reach. At desk level, only ambient, free-floating dust can be sucked up and there is a lot less ambient dust than there is on the floor most of the time.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.