Hi!
Recently I heard that you could clock your video card and make you graphic more smooth and faster speed.
Can anyone please teach me how to do that!
thx!

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Yes, you can "overclock" your card, pushing the graphics processing unit and onboard memory past their stock speeds, resulting in higher performance, higher operating temperatures and a reduced lifetime.

As you can tell, some careful thought is required before diving into the process. What system do you currently own? What games are you trying to play faster? Are you willing to take the (long-term) risk of overheating your card and possibly damaging it?

Hi!Thx for replying!
I am currently using

Chip Type: RADEON 9200 SE AGP (0x5964)
DAC Type: Internal DAC(500MHz)
Memory Size: 128MB
Adapter String RADEON 9200 SE Family (Micrsoft Corporation)
Bios information BK-AMI VER008.009.000.000

And can you please tell me what is the average life of my video card and by clocking the video card, how long of the life will it cut, plus what kind of damage will it make by overheating the video card?
Thx!

Well, many enthusiasts overclock their hardware willy nilly, fully confident that by the time their components die through excessive overclocks, they will have replaced them long ago with new technology. However, every piece of hardware is different, so while the above rule of thumb (i.e. it'll last for as long as you'll need it) may apply to many, the risk that something will give out early is always there (since video cards consist of many separate components - memory chips, GPU(s), voltage regulators, capacitors, etc).

With that out of the way, lets look at your video card. You have a 9200SE which, I am sorry to say, is at the very bottom of the performance ladder for video cards currently on the market. Thus, any overclock you apply may not result in a satisfactory performance increase since the card itself is held back in several other areas. What exactly are you trying to get faster frame rates in?

I am trying to enhance the speed and graphic of the sims 2 and call of duty.
I cant say it is very lag when I play it but it is not above satisfactory.

And one more thing, can you please also tell me what video card is currently best to buy at the lowest price? :D

I am trying to enhance the speed and graphic of the sims 2 and call of duty.
I cant say it is very lag when I play it but it is not above satisfactory.

I don't think you'll get much of an increase with an overclocked card - have you tried tweaking the display settings and graphics detail levels for each game?

(as you can see, I'm counting o/cing as a last resort)

And one more thing, can you please also tell me what video card is currently best to buy at the lowest price? :D

Depends what your budget is. For the latest gaming, I would recommend at least a 6600GT ($180 US).

I don't think you'll get much of an increase with an overclocked card - have you tried tweaking the display settings and graphics detail levels for each game?

(as you can see, I'm counting o/cing as a last resort)
Depends what your budget is. For the latest gaming, I would recommend at least a 660GT ($180 US).

I have tried everything i could to smooth up the speed but even if i set everything to the lowest not much will change.It seems that i really need to change my video card......i give up my idea on clocking my card. :sad:
Thx for all your help.

Well, I might as well tell you how, but you undertake it all at your own risk. ;)

Download a proggie like ATI Tool, and start increasing your memory and GPU clockspeeds. Say an increase of 10-20Mhz at first, and then level out to 5Mhz increments. Test your overclock every step of the way, using the built-in tool or a looping demo of 3dmark 2001/2003. When everything goes pear-shaped and graphical artefacts start appearing (you'll know them when you see them), clock back down until they disappear. Find that "sweetspot", and you'll have an overclocked video card.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.