Hi all, I hope you are well. My notebook appears to be overheating:
I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro p100 PSPAE which has two intel Centrino Duo processors - T7200. I am using Real temp 3.0 to display my temperature readings, and at idle (with only Firefox open) I am getting readings of 65 C, but if I play F.E.A.R. , which is quite a graphically intensive game, I get readings around 90C, at which point I have to stop playing as the notebook will shut itself down once it reaches 100 C (it has shut itself down abruptly a few times), which I believe is the TJunction for this type of processor? The fans do make some noise, but I do not feel much air being pumped out of the vents. I have had this notebook for 2 years now, and only recently run into this problem. I believe it might have something to do with a new BIOS update I got from Toshiba's website, as, since then, the fans have been quieter. What would your advice be ? Would a laptop cooling pad be a good idea ? Or is this going to require something more extreme ? P.S. I have not overclocked this machine and am using XP. Thank you for your time and sorry for the lengthy post, just trying to give as much information as possible.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Heya, i'm experiencing the same problem. My laptop is about 3 years old now, and its just started in the last few days to hang, or shut down, and I think its due to overheating. But now its got to a point where I can't switch it off because the keyboard and off buttons have seized.

I haven't overclocked it. I dont know how hot its running at but its always run scorchingly hot.

Any news.... let me know.

I have had this as well, I used drivers from laptopvideo2go.com to replace the toshiba drivers, some drivers cause lower temperatures then others.
Also some create HIGHER temperatures and you should not go over the maximum of 100 degrees CELCIUS.

I use version 185.85 myself (Windows 7 with nvidia geforce go 7600 256mb ram)

The highest temp reading I get is 70 degrees Celcius and it clocks down to protect itself, it isn't the best driver out there but with a cooling pad you can play even the heaviest games on your laptop.

Hey folks,

I actually just dusted off my P100 and am posting from it. Ever since I got my new work laptop and powerful desktop I haven't had much use for it. However, I turned this thing on and within minutes it was cooking my right hand so I started to investigate which is how I found this thread.

As far as my current situation I'm gonna pin it down to my battery which I think has finally bit it and was ridiculously warm when I just popped it out.

Last year though I did run into the same CPU problem (100 C) and went about disassembling my unit right down to the CPU, blew out the fan and heatsink etc. Don't do it unless you are comfortable with potentially destroying your computer but after that it ran much better.

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/23605/ has some good responses

Umm what OS are you people using?

Not regarding this laptop in particular but some problems occur with the (laptop end) connections coming loose from the board or the center pin getting pushed into it. This would cause severe heat problems.
The other is that the battery could be getting weak, a bad cell would make the charger work really hard to try and put the power back into the dead-cell - this would heat things up fast as the charger would have to work hard to do this - some have actually caught fire! Check your connections carefully, especially the center pin if applicable. So much dust gathers in the cooling fan fins and area that you should take the CPU fan out, take it apart and clean it well, often!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.