#tbone 1 Light Poster

I have a DVD+RW/CD+RW drive in my laptop and just recently it has stopped reading blank dvds. It reads absolutly everything else; audio cds, blank cds, dvd movies, burned dvds, program cds, etc. I used the drive about a month ago and it worked great. I have not installed a new OS or re-partitioned my comp.

When I put a blank dvd in the drive the drive spins up like normal for about 6-7 seconds and acts like it is going to do something, but then it makes a faint noise like it is trying to do something and is getting stuck repeatidly and then just gives up and sits there. Everything is normal.

I have tried over 30 blank dvds and 4 different types of blanks. I have taken the drive out and replaced it several times; both with the computer off and on, updated the drivers, viewed it in hardware and it says it is working fine, in properties the checkbox for allowing writing to discs is checked and would not matter since I can burn to CD, I have cleaned the lens, blown it out, just about everything I can think of.

Does anyone have any idea what happened and how I can fix it?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.