Hello fellow dani webers,

I have a old system at my house: Dell dimension 5000. it has been running for 5 years without any problems. I wanted to buy a new motherboard for this computer which is 64-bit enabled. It got to be at least a core 2 Duo. Any suggestions which motherboard is comatible with this PC?

Thanks for your help in advance

Shahboii

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

can you give us the current computer specs (processor, motherboard, RAM) Will be more helpful to tell you compatible upgrade options.

can you give us the current computer specs (processor, motherboard, RAM) Will be more helpful to tell you compatible upgrade options.

At the moment the computer is the following specs:

3.0GHz Petium 4 processor
2GB ram
Windows XP Home Edition 32-bit
128MB ATI Raedon X300 Graphics card

However I want a 64-bit enable processor and am currently looking at intel Q9650 as I got another dell computer with vista ultimate 64-bit (i will use this to install on to my dell dimension 5000 with the above specs.)

The current motherboard is unrepairable as it has fryed.

Will the intel Q9650 fit the dell dimension 5000? they both have the same socket (750)

Thanks for asking: cannot give motherboard name due to dell have not allowed it to be printed on

So you have the Dell, which works fine, and a Q9650 to integrate somehow.

I'm not particularly familiar, but I think the Dells have a fairly unique configuration, making a direct motherboard swap difficult. Do people know, do Dells use BTX rather than ATX?

I'm pretty confident you cant just drop in the Q9650. But even if you could, your motherboard probably doesn't support 64 bit.

You may be looking at a complete upgrade, new motherboard, faster RAM, new power supply, a PCI-E graphics card if your current one is AGP, and a new case.

Other people here will know better

commented: thanks for the comment +1

Just to add, this is the struct of the ports on the computer:

3 Audio ports
3 audio ports
-----------------
3 usb ports
two usb ports + ethernet port on the left side
-----------------
vga port side ways
turquoise port side ways below vga
pink printerport to the left which is on it's side also
-----------------
4 PCI slots available for expansion
-----------------

link to image:
[IMG]http://membres.lycos.fr/guerraanthony68/Dimension%205000/S2300044.jpg[/IMG]

No it actually has a motherboard failure, his is why I am replacing the motherboard to put in the intel Q9650

The only difference between btx and atx is the pins if I am correct? ATX has 20 pins and BTX has 24 pins?

you know i think there is still a way to find out the motherbard socket type...use a program like Everest ultimate. It gives detailed computer specifications....if we know the motherboard socket type, we can easily say if a new cpu will be compatible or not.

Another thing to keep in mind while you upgrade is the power supply. How much power supply do you currently have?

Hello fellow dani webers,

I have a old system at my house: Dell dimension 5000. it has been running for 5 years without any problems. I wanted to buy a new motherboard for this computer which is 64-bit enabled. It got to be at least a core 2 Duo. Any suggestions which motherboard is comatible with this PC?

Thanks for your help in advance

Shahboii

Which RAM are you use with memory

The only difference between btx and atx is the pins if I am correct? ATX has 20 pins and BTX has 24 pins?

Probably. I thought it was something to do with the actual board's size. I only mention it as I don't know whether an ATX board fits in those cases. It probably does, I just don't know.

1. A new motherboard can mean you'll need new RAM, your RAM may be too slow for the new board
  2. Can also mean a new graphics card, as your old one may not fit (may be AGP instead of the 'new' PCI-E cards).
  3. A new graphics card may mean a new power supply.
  1. RAM will have a sticker on it saying its speed.
  2. Graphics card AGP slots are shorter than PCI-E ones (and usually brown for some strange reason). Google some images.
  3. Your power supply will have its wattage written on the side; google the required wattage of any new graphics card you buy, or ask ;)

You need to find out which mobo will fit in the box.
Can you remove the I/O plate at the back; new motherboard come with one of their own.
I think you will need new everything. You will also need to find out the power of the PSU as well as the stuff you'll be getting may require more power.

I would recommend either building from scratch, new box, new motherboard etc... (you could reuse the Drives though) or simply buy one ready made. I recently replaced my mother board, CPU, RAM as it was cheaper but I knew everything fit; be sure you know your stuff will work.

- Let us know how it goes.

commented: excellent advice +1

My current supply is 350 Watts and by the way The system does not turn on, so I cannot check

I am using PC-5300. From what i have read that dell's make their computers unique; so i cnanot do this? is this correct or possible to change the motherboard?

Thanks in advance

~ ShahBoii

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.