i would like to put some more ram in my computer is there any steps i need to when installing it

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

1) turn off computer
2) unplug computer
3) Open computer
4) Place computer on flat surface (not carpet!!! A table or a wooden floor should be ok)
5) ground your self and put on gounding wristband thing if you have one
6) try and handle the ram in the antistatic bag it came in
7) undo the clip things on the mobo in the ram slot (and take out old ram if applicable)
8)push new ram in making sure that the pins are alligend with the slot until it kinda clips into place
9) close computer and turn it back on
10) verify that you have added ram in the bios ( it will say for example "new ram detected 1024mb detected press ok to continue" or something like that)
11) continue use of your pc (if your pc spontaniously restarts or you get blue screens of death then your ram could be corrupt)

commented: Well said :) -- dlh +3
commented: good guidelines, keep up giving good responses +1

1) turn off computer
2) unplug computer
3) Open computer
4) Place computer on flat surface (not carpet!!! A table or a wooden floor should be ok)
5) ground your self and put on gounding wristband thing if you have one
6) try and handle the ram in the antistatic bag it came in
7) undo the clip things on the mobo in the ram slot (and take out old ram if applicable)
8)push new ram in making sure that the pins are alligend with the slot until it kinda clips into place
9) close computer and turn it back on
10) verify that you have added ram in the bios ( it will say for example "new ram detected 1024mb detected press ok to continue" or something like that)
11) continue use of your pc (if your pc spontaniously restarts or you get blue screens of death then your ram could be corrupt)

thats some very good advice there.:D

Except for this one very important step:

If you have a large(ish) add-in display card be very careful not to damage either the display card or the RAM slot clips when installing new RAM modules. It is better to remove the display card, fit the RAM module, then replace the display card. That way nothing gets broken ;)

Except for this one very important step:

If you have a large(ish) add-in display card be very careful not to damage either the display card or the RAM slot clips when installing new RAM modules. It is better to remove the display card, fit the RAM module, then replace the display card. That way nothing gets broken ;)

thats a very good point actually. im glad you mentioned it cos i forgot. thanks:cheesy:

If you go to this site, scroll down the left side, and you will find instalation instructions. This site also address other compatibility issues.

http://www.computermemoryupgrade.net/

By 'turn off the computer' it means also shutting down power from the wall outlet, not just using Windows Shut down function.

The first thing on the list should be to make sure you buy the correct type of ram for your machine, and to know the maximum ram your machine can support.

All RAM is NOT created equal.

The site that I suggested does address that aspect of compatibility also, but once you decide on the manufacturer, go to their home site, they normally list several ways to communicate with them, look for a toll free phone number. They usually have good tech support, and from my experience they have been more than willing to make sure you get the proper module(s).

hey just open ur cpu be sure that there is no power supply of any kind then plug the ram gently adjancent to ur previous ram be sure that both ram are of same kind and type i mean that slot should be same u cant fix a ddr ram to sd slot and both ram's capacity like a 128 mb with 128 mb and moreover try fixing it gently and c that it is not loose fix it tightly taht should be all

if u face any further problem then u can consult user manual or ask any proffesional

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.